1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Viewing ISO files with W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozziebeanie, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi All

I have a puzzler here, after creating an iso file, when I go to where it’s located via Windows Explorer (sitting on C drive) it’s not located there but when I go to burn the image, I can select it from the location via the program I use to burn it.

I have made sure via Folder Options that I can see all files, I have searched high and low on the net, and found one that was the same problem but no one had answered it.

I am using a computer that has 64 bit home premium Windows 7, would it have anything to do with a 64 bit system?

I am looking at loading Windows 7 Pro either 32 or 64 bit on here but want to give the home premium that came with the computer a chance, this is my first computer I have not built

Anyway any clues as to why this is happening would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What are the locations involved? Please explain how you are going about viewing the target folder, and have you tried refreshing its contents (under View or F5)? How is the iso being created and why?

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena

Hi Elvandil

Location is as I said in first post C drive, why? is my own business but I copied a dvd I PAID for, as I like to make backup images for dvd's I OWN, this is not a dvd that can be rented or anything like that, I have not done anything illegal, as all members of this forum would know it’s illegal to copy dvd’s or images you have not paid for and it is also a rule of this forum not to ask questions on how to do anything illegal.

Now that we have that out the way, I was not asking how to do something I already know how to do, I already have a copy, I was asking a question out of curiosity as to why these iso files would show in one view but not the other

I have added pictures of what I see of the same location on this pc, from both Windows Explorer and DVD Decryptor. As to refreshing the view, I have had the computer totally switched off twice since the first post, so it all should be refreshed by now, and I did the F5 as you suggested and nothing is different.

I eagerly await any ideas as to why this happens.

Attached Files:

4. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,Open a command prompt and type attrib C:\filename.iso -- what does it say?

5. huggie54

huggie54

You could also check to see if it's in in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. Windows 7 sometimes redirects the action unless you have permission to write to the root folder and running as an administrator,

6. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks for answering Huggie, i looked in that location using Windows Explorer and I can see it in the Virtual Store folder, problem solved.

I have never used a home version of any Windows operating system, have only ever used the pro versions, I am looking at putting my own Windows 7 Pro on here but i figured i would learn more if i kept the home premium on for a while and find out what the differences are.

Thanks again

I will mark this as solved

7. huggie54

huggie54

Glad your good,huggie54

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!