1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Viewing my PC on my SmartTV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Boothbay, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I have LG49hb8500 ultra TV and have it networked as suggested by the company and connected to my PC via HD cable. When I turn both of them on, I immediately see my PC desktop on my TV. Now, here is my question...How do I see other sites on my TV when I do so on my PC? When I try that, the desktop view solely remains being shown on the TV. BTW, when and if I succeed in using my TV at times as a "PC", does this mean I also have to have my PC on all the that time? I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have found it difficult to find the area where a message like this is to go to.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you just see the desktop background or do you also see on the TV the same task bar and desktop icons as showing on the PC? If you are seeing just the desktop background. the TV display is running as an extended desktop. If the exact same thing is showing on both screens, your TV is running as a mirror of the desktop. The TV's display mode is controlled by the Windows display settings control panel on your computer. In extended desktop mode, the control panel also controls the relative position of the extended desktop to the main desktop.

Switch the video settings in the Windows control panel to mirror the desktop. If you are all ready in mirror mode and can't see the same thing on both screens, let us know the hardware and software details of your computer.

If you want to see on the TV what is being generated by the PC, you will need the PC on to do so. I am not familiar with your TV or how smart it is. I don't know if it can display anything on your network or on the Internet that can also be shown on your PC.

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

What do u mean by switching in the settings in control panel? I have Win 7. The manual for my LG Smart TV 49BH8500 says I can.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Press the Windows and the P keys on your keyboard. This will open a selection box. Select "Duplicate".
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976064

A Google search for "LG 49BH8500" did not get any results for me. Your first posts list the model as LG49hb8500. Google searches for "LG49hb8500" and "LG 49hb8500 did not get any usable links. Please let us know if you can find a link to an on-line user manual for your TV or at least a product description and specifications page. As a starter, here is a link to a list of LG's current Smart TVs (or at least the ones available in the USA).
    http://www.lg.com/uk/smart-tvs

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

At that link, choose the #2 in sequence and its at the bottom middle...49" one. Thanks for the windows + P....never knew it existed.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    So "duplicate" isn't working? From your description above (ie: you can see the desktop on the TV), it sounds like you are configured for "extended" mode (extended = the desktop extends across both screens. So you can move windows from screen to screen). Duplicate = both the PC monitor and the TV will have the same view.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused:
    When I do that, I get one with a model number of 49UB850V, with an H instead of a U, 850 instead of 8500, and a V at the end. Still don't see a 49HB8500.

8. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Sorry, I know but they keep changing numbers of TV it seems every other month..that is the closest to what i have and i bought mine this past Dec.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I downloaded the user guide for the 49UB850V from the LG web site and looked around a bit. The TV has a built-in web browser that will let you visit web sites like you could do with your computer. Your computer would not need to be turned on to do this. The TV can also be used to view and listen different types of media files on your computer. The computer would need to be turned on, with Windows running to do that.

If we have not fully addressed your question, please explain exactly the types of "PC" tasks you wish to perform when your say 'using my TV at times as a "PC"'.

10. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You need to select the display option on your computer to Duplicate instead of Extend.

If you want to view your computer content on the TV, the computer has to be turned on.

11. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Thanks, while i tried to view some video's from my pc i got a message on my TV that it cannot show cause it does not have Flash.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The user guide lists the following file types as being supported by the TV
    .asf .wmv .divx .avi .mp4 .m4v .mov .3gp .3g2 .mkv
    .ts .trp .tp .mts .mpg .mpeg .dat .vob .rm .rmvb

I suspect that you are trying to view .flv files, and they are not on the list. You would need suitable software on your computer to convert and save the .flv files to a compatible format. I am not familiar with that type of software and not in a position to recommend any.

13. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you're connecting the computer to the TV, then the TV is just a display. The TV doesn't have to support any special file formats. All of that happens on the computer.

14. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

The specific message i received as I tried to view some video clips that i am able to see on my PC came as folllows: Flash Plug in Not Supported. I am able to view "Youtube" video with the TV App

15. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you're connecting your computer to the TV, then you don't use any of the TV's applications. Connect to the computer to the TV, open a web browser on the computer, and view it on the TV.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice