1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Viewing TIF images in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tidalcloud, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Thread Starter

Hi folks,

When I double click a TIF image in XP I get "no preview available" in the Windows XP Fax and Image Viewer. It's help files indicate that I should not only be able to view TIF files but I should even have edit ability. I checked to file using my Photo Explorer program and it's fine there. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Rik

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Tidalcloud

Hmmm. Seems to provide the reason but I don't know how to implement the solution. The TIF files are e-mailed to me as a result of my company's Imageport fax service. Essentially any fax is converted to a TIF and e-mailed to me. I can't see how I can disable something when there is no program being used on my end. And I don't see how I can convert the image either if I can't open it. Thoughts?

Thanks for the reference by the way.

4. marklab

marklab

Microsoft site states:
    If you use Windows 2000 Kodak Image Viewer, you can view these files as expected. Additionally, if you convert these TIFF files to a different compression format by using Windows 2000 Kodak Image Viewer, and then view these files using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, you can view the files as expected.

This means open the file in Kodak image viewer. Then do "Save As" and save it as a GIF or BMP.

5. Tidalcloud

That would work except that I don't have Kodak Image Viewer.

6. marklab

marklab

I have used Microsoft paint to change the formats of the picture files also. Have you tried this?

7. marklab

marklab

8. Tidalcloud

Thanks Marklab. I reassociated TIF files to open with my Ulead Photo Explorer. It just seemed like I shouldn't have had to.

9. marklab

marklab

You would think but M$ has an excuse for every Bug! Ahem I mean feature!

10. Tidalcloud

Found a nifty little freeware program called Ifranview on CNET's downloads. One tenth the size of Kodak's view and works great. Easily displays multiple page TIF files. It can do a few other things as well but as a viewer it works flawlessly so far. You can find it here:
    Ifranview

11. Dan O

Dan O

You found one of the best graphic viewer, Ifranview.

12. Tidalcloud

I'm a new user to it but I really like it so far. Seems like it can display anything. What else can it do?

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have installed all the plugins for it, it will play most any multimedia file. And of course the slide show option is really nifty if you have a lot of art or other pics. It does thumbnails in full folder view and you can also do batch conversions of file types. One of the things I use it most often for is the "capture" utility for snagging screenshots.

14. Tidalcloud

Seems like the capture feature would be very handy. Just tried to use it with this thread open and nothing happened. Am I missing something?

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

After you click "start" and before you click f11, make sure the screen you want to capture is in "focus" by clicking on that first. Also make sure you have "hotkey" selected, not "automatic timer delay".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/108904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice