1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Viewsonic Monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squirteese, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squirteese

squirteese Thread Starter

I have recently changed my hard drive and had to reinstall all the programs on my computer. Since doing so, the Viewsonic monitor has been stuck in troubleshooting mode. All the fonts and windows are very large, and the only resolution available is 680 x 460, with the only colour option at 16 colours.

What do I do to get a better resolution with this monitor. It worked fine until the hard drive was changed.

I have downloaded the driver for the monitor from the net which was unsuccessful.

I tried changing the adapter from standard to SVGA as recommended by windows, which was rejected by the computer and I had to change it back.

Windows is not accepting the driver that I downloaded.

2. brianF

brianF

You need to reinstall your video drivers, that should take care of the problem.
    If you have the installation cd that came with the video card or you should be able to download from the manufacturer's site

3. brianF

brianF

email from user, please reply to this thread and not by email

[qoute]I should have mentioned that I do not have the original cd or manual for the monitor. I have however, downloaded the driver for it from the website and unpacked it but it still does not change the resolution. An error message said that windows would keep it in troubleshooting mode until.... how do I get it out of that mode. There is nothing wrong with the monitor.
    [/quote]

It's not the monitor driver you want to install, it's the video card driver that needs to be installed.

What is listed in device manager under display adapter
    What operating system are you using win98, etc

Do you know what video card your machine has????

4. brianF

brianF

Try downloading and installing belarc if you don't know which card, it's likely it will be able to tell you, then it's just a matter of getting the drivers

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

5. squirteese

Thanks for the help.

I am running windows 98. I have to get the other info from the computer in question which is at work.

I will try the download that you suggested tomorrow and let you know.

6. squirteese

Belarc has not shown me what graphics hardware driver I have. It only shows the current generic driver. What next?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is this a brand named computer?

8. brianF

brianF

Try this
    Get to an MS-DOS Prompt: If you are running a version of Windows, you need to either open an MS-DOS prompt or shut Windows down to MS-DOS mode.
    Enter the "DEBUG" Program: From the DOS prompt, type "debug" and then {Enter}. The system will display a single dash ("-").
    Display the Video Card BIOS Area: Type the following, exactly (and nothing else, or you risk doing something to your system that you really don't want to): "d c000:0010". This will display the contents of the beginning part of the video BIOS ROM. The system will display a bunch of hexadecimal digits across most of the screen. On the left-hand side you will see text letters that correspond to these codes. For most video cards, you will see the name of the manufacturer and information about the video chipset type and version number.
    Scroll Down If Necessary: On some systems you may need to scroll down further to find the information. Do this by typing just "d" and then {Enter}, one or more times. More information will display on the screen.
    Exit "DEBUG": Press "q" and then {Enter} to quit the debug program.

9. squirteese

This is an IBM PC300 GL. I am having trouble finding a video driver for the adapter. It is an IBM adapter as well. Do you know where to find it?

10. brianF

brianF

11. squirteese

yeah! Congratulations, it worked. Thanks sooo much.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yep, always start with the computer manufacturer's site first ;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice