1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: virtual memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bruinator, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

Hi, What causes virtual memory to get low on PC's, please?

tia

2. bruinator

What should it be set at for XP?

3. 1101doc

1101doc

4. bruinator

Using XP and outlook 2000 with spamfighter. I keep getting virtual memory too low and I did what the above poster suggested. Still getting error. I had the happen with a win 98 machine with outlook 2000 and spamfighter as well. I removed spamfighter thinking that was the problem but I am still getting the error. How do I fix this please? it is very aggravating.

5. 1101doc

1101doc

Just to be clear- Is the warning true? What is your RAM and what size is listed for Page file? Are you using Norton? Do you have more than one hard drive? (in or out)

6. bruinator

I have 1 HD and min allowed 2 MB, recommended 753mb, currently allocated 753 MB. I use AVG.

7. 1101doc

1101doc

So this sounds like an invalid warning. I would try the Page file defrag utility: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/PageDefrag.mspx#top It takes some time to run because at next boot it first requires a checkdisck session. The quick fix is to turn off the page file and then turn it back on. A reboot is necessary both times, and the problem is that sometimes Windows won't boot without a page file. That's why I asked about a second hard drive.

8. bruinator

I installed new updates , 1 failed, my computer rebooted and it came back saying low on virtual memory again. What the hell is going on?

9. bruinator

running repair from office 2000 cd now.

10. bruinator

I fixed outlook issue with repair but opening the app. up takes a minute where it use to open instantly. What could cause this, please?

11. bruinator

I had Spamfighter on my email and then removed it from add/remove programs but it is still associated with outlook. I assume that is causing the issue. Do I have to unistall outlook and then re-install it to solve this?

12. bruinator

thanks for everyone's help.

13. 1101doc

1101doc

From what you've told me I think your system is giving false alerts because of some configuration of settings relative to Office. This is the kind of thing that got me to completely remove Office from my machine. I just use Outlook Express, and do almost all my e-mail work online. I still think Pagedefrag is worth a try.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!