1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Virtual PC hd size change?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gurutech, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have an OS installed in Virtual PC (WinXP, SP3), and the default size I created for it (30gb) is really close to being full.

How can I increase this size to like 60gb, without having to reinstall, etc...? (ie. increase the virtual HDD size...)

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Open the virtual hard drive wizard then select the hard drive you want to change the size of. The wizard should then provide you with options for the specified virtual hard drive.

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

It only gives me options to compact it, or to make it a "fixed size". Nothing about increasing the actual size of the "virtual" drive....

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

MS Virtual PC doesn't support changing the drive size. You have to create a new drive, then clone the existing one to it using Acronis, Ghost, or your favorite freeware app.

You can also create the new drive, then associate both with another VM and just copy from the old to the new, then boot to the Recovery Console in the original VM with the new drive replacing the old and run fixboot and fixmbr.

HTH

Jerry

5. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

OK, I used partition magic to clone the partition, and I can boot off the "new" drive, but as soon as I login, it logs me back off again. I did a fixboot and fixmbr, but same thing.

If I have the "new" drive connected as primary, and the "old" drive as secondary, it will boot of the new drive, but says it's drive D:, and the old drive is still drive C:.

Any ideas?

6. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice