1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Virtual PC installs in Win 7 But no Icon on Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ebasics, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

Installed Virtual PC and XP Mode in Win 7, but the icon that is suppose to be on the start menu..programs is missing. I have deleted and reinstalled several times.

2. galoryber

galoryber

Hmm, I have virtual installed at home on 7. I don't remember if there is an icon in there as part of the setup or not, I would have guessed that there is. In any case, does the program work correctly after you install it?

If it works as it should after the install, we can just create a shortcut in the start menu > Programs to use.

3. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

you should see this:

Attached Files:

4. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

Yes, the Virtual PC "Icon" is not in the list of programs.

5. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

No it doesn't work because without the link on the start menu programs I don't know how to start it. You are suppose to have a submenu item of the XP Mode which you access to setup the virtual XP.

6. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

xp mode is for pro and ultimate version only. Do you downloaded it on M$ site?

7. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

Yes, downloaded from MS. My version is the 32bit Professional

8. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

you are supposed to have an virtual machine folder too. under C:\users\%username%\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vmcx

did you look there?

9. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

No, but I will now

10. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

No it's not there.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Is the XP Mode icon there or is the entire Windows Virtual PC Folder missing from the Start Menu?
    What version of Win 7 are you running?
    32 or 64 bit?
    Does your system support hardware visualization and is it enabled?
    If not, did you install the 3rd component so hardware virtualization is not required?

12. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

32 bit Professional. System supports visualization. Entire Windows Virtual PC Folder is missing. Not sure visualization is enabled. Will check.

13. ebasics

ebasics Thread Starter

The 3rd component wouldn't install. System indicated it wasn't necessary. So I assume that means the visualization is enabled.

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like it's not needed. You can double check with this tool:
    Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool

Are you by any chance installing this while logged in with a Standard Account, and providing Admin credentials when prompted? On my system it installed only for the current user (I don't recall if there was an option to install for all users), so it might be on the start menu of the Admin account whose credentials you used, rather than the account you were logged in under.

You can check under the other account:
    Code:
    C:\Users\[COLOR=DarkRed]<Username>[/COLOR]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

15. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

also look in that folder:
    C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual computers\Windows XP Mode.vmc

If its not there the installation might not have completed succesfully or stopped for some reasons.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice