Solved: VirtualBox boot from physical drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

koroshb

Hello all! I happen to have a dilemma:

I want to be able boot from an actual physical drive (loaded with WinXP - my host system is Win7 Ultimate) from VirtualBox, and everywhere I checked, there was this random coding thing that you had to point the CMD toward the VirtualBox directory, and every time I tried to create a raw vdmk (part of one of the commands), it said that it couldn't because access was denied. It never asked anything about granting access, and the Win XP drive does not have a password on it!

(this is my source - Link!)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 7930 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 204699 MB, Free - 25824 MB; D: Total - 71679 MB, Free - 2411 MB; G: Total - 157065 MB, Free - 110444 MB; H: Total - 28761 MB, Free - 10961 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1444
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled

Only an operating system can be booted. You can't boot VirtualBox.

The post you referenced is just a way to boot a CD or USB stick in VirtualBox once it is already running inside an OS. It has nothing to do with booting the machine.

koroshb

Sorry. My bad. I mistyped! I mean to have VirtualBox use an actual HDD rather than a vhd for a boot medium. I was going to make a vhd from my Win XP disk, but it's 180 GB's, and my current HDD has 25 GB's left (I need to clean out!).

It will take the same amount of space to create a VHD as it would to have an OS on an actual drive. And since the OS that is already on the drive was installed for your real machine, it will not run in VirtualBox because VB uses completely different hardware, from BIOS to board to CPU. The OS needs to be installed inside VB so that the correct drivers, different from the ones your system uses, will be installed.

koroshb

There's a way of reseting the drivers (and the lisence code)

DoubleHelix

Banned
I understand what you're asking, but as far as I know, it can't be done. The link you posted just shows how to boot from a VHD file on a USB drive.

You're asking how to boot an existing Windows XP installation on a hard drive which was installed when that drive was in another physical computer, right?

There's a way of reseting the drivers (and the lisence code)
You would need a new license for a version of XP installed to VirtualBox. You only get one per machine.

But if you already know how to do this, then why are you asking? Just reset the drivers, buy a new license, and be off!

But with so many other ways to do things, it seems like you are taking the longest way possible to get to Poughkeepsie.

I use VirtualBox. I remember reading somewhere that you could clone an existing installation and then restore that clone into a virtual machine setup...

I think...

Yes, Paragon has all kinds of tools for coverting installations to virtual machines and even vice versa. Acronis does, too. You "think" right.

Many of Paragon's tools are free, too. I don't think Acronis gives anything away.

koroshb

I mean instead of having a virtual machine boot from a vhd, i want it to boot from an actual HDD. And i don't have the space to make a vhd of the HDD.

No. Then it would just be a normal OS and not a virtual machine. Just boot the drive if it has an OS on it. There is no need for VirtualBox.

You seem a bit confused about what these things are for and what they do. Read a bit of the Help files for VirtualBox or VMWare.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online