1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Virus Attachments in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Herbie, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Herbie

Herbie Thread Starter

I am getting so many virus attachments to my incomming e-mail that I would
    like to allow e-mail from those who are in my address book only... Can
    anyone tell me if there is any way to configure my outlook express 6, to do
    that? thanks..... Herbie

2. mobo

mobo

You can try blocking those others by clicking "message" then block sender.

3. BillC

BillC

The sad thing is that the viruses you are getting are more than likely from prople in your address book.

In OE, go to Tools > Message Rules > Mail and you might be able to block or create a rule that works for you.

4. Herbie

Herbie Thread Starter

Thanks Motherboard, but my blocked file is hundreds of addresses long already....... and that still doesn't stop dozens of viruses from getting in anyway.... and thank you too BillC for your suggestion but so far, the only rule that works for me is "delete-delete-delete-delete.....and on and on......
    p.s. Those tigers over here in Louisiana sure did put a virus on those Bull dog's ....... I hope GT does well this season!!!!

5. RandyG

RandyG

Outlook, not Outlook Express, has the ability to delete all mails except ones that you specify.

I don't believe you can do this easily in OE.

Sorry.

6. Deke40

Deke40

7. RandyG

RandyG

Wow, did I mention not easily!! It is a handy way to do it, Deke, Good Job!!;):D(y)

8. Deke40

Deke40

Thanks Randy.

9. Herbie

Herbie Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but so far nothing seems to be working....... As soon as i do find a solution to this problem i will post it here...... herbie

10. Deke40

Deke40

Do you mean you couldn't stop the virus attachments or couldn't set up to only receive emails from people in your address book?

11. BillC

BillC

Golly Deke, you are the candle in the darkness when it comes to OE rule setting. That was truely cool. I had thought of doind that. Must be someting in the water in Texas!

12. Deke40

Deke40

Herbie-I got to thinking that thread might be a little confusing so here is the whole thing:

Go to OE/Tools/Message Rules/Mail/New/ Tick the first item "Where the from line contains people"/ Tick an item in the #2 box(You have a choice to copy, delete, move to folder, do not download it from server or delete it form server) you might want to set up a junk folder and put them there. Now click "contains people" under box #3/click "address book"/highlight the first name and scroll down to bottom of list and hold "Shift key" and click the last name/click "From" at top right and it will copy address to "Rule Addresses"/click "ok"/click "options"/tick "Message does not contain the people below"/click "ok"/click "ok"/Then click "Specified Folder(if you chose that option earlier)/pick a folder/ click "oK"\Apply Now\Apply Now\Ok\Close\Ok.

Here is the image:

[​IMG]

13. Herbie

Herbie Thread Starter

Deke, it looks like your solution to my virus problem is working. i tried sending all e mail to a dump file, but that still allowed virus downloads.... then i stopped all e mail, except from those in my address book, at the server, but it seemed that the server was loading up with mail... then i set actions to delete all e mail from server, and that seems to be working fine...... thanks a lot, this has really been an everyday problem for a while now..... Herbie

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice