Solved: Virus: Trying a clean install of XP. Trouble with bios.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bernyy

First off, my knowledge of computers is basic at best but I'll try to explain the best that I can.

2 days ago my computer was infected with a virus (virus.win32.virut.ce) that has ripped it to shreads!

Anyway, I got a windows XP disc hoping that I could erase everything and start new but I've noticed that when I start up and I press "CTRL S" to get into my bios, I can't change my boot options...

It says:

Network Boot Protocol --- PXE
Boot Order --- Use BIOS boot order

And when I try to change either of those settings it says:
"There are no other choices for this option"

My computer is a bit old now, bought it around 2003.

It has an MSI GNB Max-SR (motherboard)
Serial ATA RAID (Whatever that is)
Pentium 4

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the last 8 hours searching and searching and with no results other than what appears to be the onset of insanity.

Thanks.

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya Bernyy.

I may be wrong but pressing `Ctrl + S` is an unusual option to get into BIOS, are you sure those are the correct keys?

F1, F2 and/or DEL are the regular ones. Try tapping those and see what happens.

Jenny

Bernyy

I took a picture with my camera. When it boots the only option I see is CTRL S. When I do that it takes me to the blue screen which I mentioned. I've tried DEL F1 F2...heck, all the F's

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi for some reason your photos are not loading - maybe it's my system.
Ctrl-S usually stops a program from running - and pressing again - restarts the program.
So, tapping that, maybe it's stopping the Bios from fully loading and being able to be seen.

What system are you using?
Are you tapping F12 - whatever!! the moment your Pc starts up?

Edit..
It could be that the Virus is in the Bios etc and will stop the Pc from starting.

antech

Banned
1.Is it a custom built??
2.Or a purchased preconfigured?
List the model no. if your choice is 2

leroys1000

Banned
The bios you are entering is only for the fasttrak drive controller.
There should be another before or after that.
If that is the first one displayed,wait til it changes and you
should get the option to enter the standard bios.

Bernyy

1.Is it a custom built??
2.Or a purchased preconfigured?
List the model no. if your choice is 2
It is not a brand name computer. So I would say Custom built. The Motherboard is GNB Max-SR, MS-6565 (v2.X) ATX Mainboard. I also have a Serial ATA Raid. not sure if this is what you mean.

The bios you are entering is only for the fasttrak drive controller.
There should be another before or after that.
If that is the first one displayed,wait til it changes and you
should get the option to enter the standard bios.
After the initial screen the only other option I see is to press F8 for "advanced windows options". Once I get there there are options such as SAFE MODE, START WINDOWS NORMALLY ETC.

Is it possible that the guy that built my computer made it so I can't change my boot order? Does anyone know if "BIOS not installed" has anything to do with this? It has always said that on startup from day 1.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

Bernyy

Boy do I feel dumb. I wasn't pressing the DEL key fast enough when I was starting my computer. Thanks everyone for your help. I set up the BIOS to boot from cd, and it appears to be installing. I'll check back when I'm done.

Thanks a lot everyone.

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for the update - you can mark it Solved - at thread tools at the top of the page.
(y)

antech

Banned
Most of the times People seem to make Silly Mistakes....
And of them is Me Myself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online