1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Visioneer 6100 and Windows XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kriswrite, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

Well, I finally switched to Windows XP (pro), but now my trusty scanner won't work. Visioneer says there is nothing I can do about it except...you guessed it! Buy a new scanner! (What a bad way to get return customers!)

I will not be buying a new scanner.

I tried to download a freeware "fix," but it didn't work. Does anyone know how I can make my Visioneer 6100 USB scanner (with PaperPort 6.1) work with Windows XP (pro)???????????

Kristina

2. mtbird

mtbird

Kristina....
    Welcome to TSG !

Many times the Win2000 drivers will work with XP. I would give it a try before throwing the scanner out with the trash :)
    Otherwise, you'll most likely have to wait until Visioneer gets with the program and puts out new drivers.

http://visioneer.com/Support/flatbed/6100downloads.asp

Debe

3. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

Debe, thanks for your prompt reply :)

I had tried to install the Windows 2000 driver previously (albeit from a different source), and got the error message that "the file is in use and cannot be installed." I got that same message when I downloaded the 2000 driver from the Visioneer site and tried to install it. I had no other programs open that I am aware of. (My virus scan was turned off, too.)

What could be the difficulty?

Many thanks again,
    Kristina

4. mtbird

mtbird

5. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I haven't checked them out yet, but let me ask this:

Should I uninstall everything, then install the driver first...or the scanner software first?

Kristina

6. mtbird

mtbird

Normally on USB, you install the software first, then update the drivers. Be sure you have uninstalled ( as per their instructions) anything previous.
    Good luck, I hope it works for you. I'd hate to think your scanner just became a pretty paper weight :(

Debe

7. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

Hi again Debe~

I followed the instructions: First manually deleting the scanner in the "scanners & cameras" section, then using "Add/Remove Programs" to delete the program, then disconnecting the scanner and deleting the "Twain_32" PaperPort file. I then went to the Visioneer site and downloaded the Windows 2000 driver onto my desktop. When I clicked on the resulting icon, it told me the driver had been installed, and then automatically started to install the Visioneer software. It asked for the installation CD, then told me it wasn't compatible with XP, but I could proceed if I wished to. I tried to proceed, but as the program began installing, I got the following error message:

"The file pmxusd.dll on Visioneer PnP Drivers is needed."

I looked for this file, using the "Search" feature, but there were no results.

Is this fixable?

I'm thinking that it probably isn't....Anyone from Visioneer out there, this is a terrible way to get return customers. If I had been able to upgrade my current scanner to work with XP, I would have bought another Visioneer when I was ready to upgrade my scanner. But because Visioneer won't provide upgradable software, I will *never* buy another Visioneer product again.

Thank you for your help, Debe, and let me know if you think I can still try some other little "trick."

Kristina

8. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

I fiddled around a bit and I got it to work! :) In case this may be helpful to others, here's what I did.

I discovered that the problem was that PaperPort wasn't working with XP. However, you don't need PaperPort to use the scanner.

After downloading the 2000 driver, I simply went to CONTROL PANEL> PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE> SCANNERS AND CAMERAS. Right-click the Visioneer icon and select PROPERTIES. Click on the EVENTS tab. Under "Scanner Events," select "Scanner Button Press." Under "Send This Application," choose another photo software program that you have on your hard drive. (I had several, but if for some reason you don't have any, you can either buy one or find a freeware application.)

Now, when I hit my scanner button, the Visioneer Scan Manager comes up and I can scan the item without any problem at all. :)

Kristina

9. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

From time to time, when I try to print a document from MS Word, it simply won't print. The job shows up in the printer's list of jobs, and shows it as being active and starting to print, but nothing happens.

There does not appear to be a problem with the connection to the printer; I have the correct printer selected, etc...and--interestingly--my in-laws are having the same intermittant problem on their own computer.

Is this a known issue? And how do I fix it? (It's maddening!)

10. Dionne

Dionne

Do you by chance know where I can get a copy of version 6.1? I am trying to replicate the fix for my Visioneer 6100 and XP. But I only have version 5.3 which will not work.

Thanks,
    D

11. Dionne

Dionne

Do you by chance know where I can get a copy of version 6.1? I am trying to replicate the fix for my Visioneer 6100 and XP. But I only have version 5.3 which will not work.

Thanks,
    D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice