1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista 64x - Disk Structure Corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paulb100, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I feel like slinging this 64-Bit out of the window........

Ive now come to realise there is a problem with the partition its installed on...
    I tried to install stuff on C:/ and it wont it doesnt matter what or whereabouts on C:/ i copy files it says the same thing...

ERROR: DISK STRUCTURE CORRUPT

Ive rand Chkdsk /f which finds errors then at the end says there is not enough room to repair MFT....

does this mean I have to increase the free space then re-run chkdsk/f ?
    its installed on a 20Gb partition with 6Gb free... cant see how thats not enough space..?

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I know what the MFT is (Master File Table) its the hard-drives registry of sorts... too late now anyway Ive deleted it completely - formatted the partition - will re-install later in week if same happens again will look into increasing the MFT size - thing is I didnt do anything? I just installed Vista 64x and tried to install ENE Card Reader which restarted Laptop after which I couldnt download or write to the partition V64 was on - I dont think it was caused by ENE card reader install - I think the problem was there immediatley after install - I have to say that Im certain the install took just slightly longer than the 32-bit - perhaps the partition was bad pre-install , I used Acronis in DOS to create the partition and when it did (split partition D:/ (80Gb) into D:/ (60Gb) and E:/ (20Gb)) it took ages and was resizing and moving C:/ which had nothing to do with the job???? so summits went wrong then I think - Ive since fully formatted E:/ 20Gb ready for re-install later

THANKS for swift response

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You will find that least 40 GIGs for Vista to be installed with any programs, will help.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

And it sounds like the drive may be on its way out, too. Try chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console and see if there are bad sectors.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I install my apps on another partition - 20Gb is system only

The drive is brand new seagate 7200rpm SATA300 ... ive formatted the partition proper now for re-install later...

thanks anyway

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The install requirements are 40 GIGs drive with at least 15 GIGs empty space. You need to up the size of the drive as when the install files are "Expanded" they will require the 15+ GIGs. During beta I was having issues at 30 GIGs and upped mine to 50 and never had any issues after that.

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

the requirements are any drive with 15gb free.. ive been using Vista for 12 months on a 20Gb partition with my programs installed on another partition and it runs like a dream , Vista uses about 13Gb of space....
    64-bit used the same - the problems werent with the disk space it was the partition was corrupt

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't want a drive that crowded, but to each his own.

10. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

works better that way... means the system partition doesnt get fragmented as much as all my work and programs are using the other partition..

C:/ Vista (20GB) 7Gb free (uses 66% of the partition)
    D:/ Programs+work (90Gb)

keeping the two apart help windows run better - with 7Gb free Vista has ample room and is not crowded

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is the system that generally fragments the drive much more than installed programs do,

12. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

isnt it just general use? the hard-drive itself decides where it dumps files physically on the platters therefore just general use causes fragmentation - if im constantly writing to/from the D:/ Partition with my work & programs etc then most of the fragmentation is gunna happen over on that partition , it does help a bit having it setup like I do cos ive noticed it does ever since I started doing it performance has been slightly better

well, for heavy users like me anyway... people that just browse the web and use office wouldnt see any overall benefits

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice