1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista and Half Life 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by alwrmc, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I'm thinking about reinstalling Half Life 2 again and giving it another run through. Before I spend an hour or two installing and updating, does anyone know if it or Steam has any problems with Vista? Thanks.

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

No, I have had no problems, just make sure the Windows Firewall lets the Steam client through (click Unblock on the diaglog that appears).

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Thanks pjhutch, I have the box right here on the desk. I'll give it a try this afternoon. I'm specifically looking to do the "Lost Coast" again. I tried that a couple of years ago and while it was short, it was a good looking download.

4. pjhutch

pjhutch

I just tried Lost Coast for first time recently, I completed it in two sessions and I thought ... is that it !!!
    Anyway, looking forward for Episode Two to come out.....

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I just attempted to install HL2. When it gets to CD 4 (of 5) it gives me an error message. I have attached a printscreen shot. I have checked the disc and it is pristine. Not even a fingerprint. Steam installed fine. I exited the HL2 installation because it gives no other option. I went to Steam by clicking on the desktop icon, it updated. Luckily I had written my username and password down and placed that in the box! Is there something else I need to do to get this going on Vista. It installed and ran on XP Pro, pretty much maxed out on graphics, I would like to get it going again on Vista.

Attached Files:

6. pjhutch

pjhutch

Sorry, I could not read the picture, text is blurred out. As far as I know you do not need to do anything different than from Windows XP. Anyway I thought HL2 came on DVD not CD!

7. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

you can click the picture and zoom in so you can see it.

8. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    No problem: The thumbnail is small and should be loaded into a program that allows enlargement. At any rate I kept poking around and eventually found a site that had a solution. It required the updates to Steam that I had already done. Then It needed to restart the installation. Takes forever to install from CD!! and a long time to load each new area, I had forgotten the load times. Also JFI, HF2 originally came out on 5 CD's. I have no idea why multi-disc software still does that but apparently there are a lot of people (hard to believe) that do not have DVD drives. :confused: Go figure. Bottom line, I have it installed updated and running smoothly 1680 X 1050 with everything maxed. As a matter of fact I am in the canal but do not yet have a water craft. Thank you for your replies.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice