1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista and XP Printer File Sharing Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by natgain, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

I've looked through the previous posts and have tried many different things, but I can't make any progress. Basically, I have a new Windows Vista Home edition computer that is connected to a router to the internet. I can get on the internet fine. I also have a XP computer connected into the router and connected to the internet. I have a printer connected to the Vista computer.

I cannot see any files from either computer. In addition, I can't share the printer (at a minimum that is what I'd like to do).

I have:

same WORKGROUP.
    Updated the XP system with the LLTD patch.
    disabled (as best I can tell) all firewalls from both computers.
    enabled file and printer sharing
    can ping both computers utilizing network addresses
    from Vista can see my XP computer under "Network & Sharing Center"'s "View Full Map"
    Created a user account on XP with the same name and password as my Vista account and logged into it.

Cannot get to anything on the XP computer from Vista or see anything within the workgroup.
    Cannot ping either computer utilizing computer names - I tried adding the Vista machine to the LMHOSTS file on the XP machine - didn't seem to have any affect.
    And again cannot see any files from either computer or get to the printer on Vista.

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility for failure to ping by Computer Name after success with ping by IP address is a firewall (internet security). When 'disabled' works that's great, but other times you have to uninstall or properly configure for LAN access.

Check that these services are running (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services):
    Computer Browser
    Network Location Awareness
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

3. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

I still cannot ping by computer name and access hasn't changed. Let me make sure that I'm entering the command right. Is it:

ping computername where computername is the name of my computer?

I uninstalled Norton Firewall on my Vista machine. The XP machine only has Norton anti-virus - no firewall is part of that version. I checked and Windows firewall is turned off on both computers. Is there a way to unintall that? If so, how?

Could there be something with my router? Both computers go through the router to the internet and have no problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

4. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I have those services running on both computers. I checked.

5. invalidusername

invalidusername

On your LAN adapter, under "network connectctions" and then "properties".

Is "client for microsoft networks" installed and selected?

6. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

Client for MS Network is on for both machines. At one time, I did have the XP machine networked to a Windows ME machine. I took the Windows ME off the network.

Thanks!

I did find some differences -

Vista - all are enabled
    Client for MS Netowrk
    Qos Packet Scheduler
    File & printer sharing
    Internet Protocol version 6
    Internet Protocol version 4
    Link-Layer Topology Discover Mapper I/O
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

XP - all are enabled
    Client for MS Network
    Service Advertising Protocol
    File & Printer sharing
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Link-layer Topology Discovery Responder
    NW Link NetBIOS
    NWLink IPx/SPx/Netbios Compatible Transport
    Internet protocol TCP/IP

7. invalidusername

invalidusername

On vista, you may want to remove IPV6, it does not do any good to have it now. This is for the future and you can install it back if needed.

Also, on xp, I would disable netbois to see what happens

8. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

I disabled IP6 - it wouldn't let me uninstall it on the Vista machine.

I also disabled both NetBIOS settings on the XP machine. Still can't ping by computer name. Still can't see either machine. I even tried rebooting both machines.

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

10. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis

Try this:

To connect to the shared folder from another computer

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type:
    \\computer

*where computer is the name of the computer where the network resource lives
    *make sure both of the computers are on
    Click OK.

To find the computer name right click on the computer icon either on the desktop are Start button. The computer name is found under the Computer Name tab

11. jmwills

jmwills

There is an update for XP machines that need to connect to Vista machines. Forgot the KB Article number, but Google for LLTD Update for XP.

12. Funkyjuice

Funkyjuice

I had this exact same issue..

I know it sounds stupid (even more so for Microsoft) but you cannot "see" other pcs on the network until you share the hard drive on the vista pc first.. then suddenly all other machines appear on the network list...

Sounds ridiculous but it worked for me... let me know if it helps...

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think I'd start the networking setup process all over on both systems. Change the workgroup name too.

14. natgain

natgain Thread Starter

I have tried everything in these posts. Turned back on NetBIOS on the XP system. Reset up all the networking on both machines. And turned on sharing for the c drive on Vista. I had already installed the LLTD patch before I first posted. I'm still having problems and believe it's a problem with either my IP setup or my router.

I double checked - windows firewall off - both computers. No 3rd party firewall.

I looked up why I can't ping to a computer name. Doc says that the host name can't be resolved with the DNS server.

I can use the net view command with IP address and it works. I get a system 53 errror when I use the computer name. Again - Doc says that the host name can't be resolved with the DNS server.

I checked the router - DHCP is enabled and both computers are listed in the DHCP clients table.

In IPConfig - the default gateway is the same for both computers. The vista machine has a subnet of 255.240.0.0 and the XP machine has one of 255.247.255.0. I don't know if that matters.

I checked the IP settings on both computers and everything is set to automatic.

Any ideas of what I should try or look at? I'm not a networking expert and am at a loss. All help is appreciated!!!

Thanks!

15. jmwills

jmwills

You can't ping each other because the subnets are all jacked up. Are you sure you did not set those machines for static addresses? That's the ohly way I know you could have come up with those subnets, A SOHO router should have ssubnets in the 255.255.255.0 range.
    Reset the entire network like Akacandy suggested.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice