1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Business rdp to XP Pro won't connect

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by moellerk, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moellerk

moellerk Thread Starter

I have a new Vista Business dell laptop that will not connect to my XP Pro desktop PC. I am able to ping both ways but not able to even briefly connect. It just searches until an error box comes up. I am running AVG on the XP Pro box and Vista laptop. I shut that down on both (along with windows firewalls) just to solve this but it still remains. Any ideas? Is it something to with Vista's Ipv6 stuff? I also installed the newest rdp software, help!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you have the remote desktop port open in your router settings?

3. moellerk

moellerk Thread Starter

Actually am within the same 192.168.2.* microsoft router network range.

4. ~Candy~

5. ~Candy~

Also, you have to allow Remote Assistance connections via control pane, system, remote.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You really don't need a port open in the router to allow connection within a local network but sometimes there is additional firewall firmware that may be active and blocking just such a connection attempt, unless you've already successfully connected from XP to XP or Vista to Vista, in which case its probably not that.

It dose sound like its something very basic missing or being blocked by the nature of the error. It would not have anything to do with IPv6 but you could go into the TCP/IP 4 setting properties and give each machine a static IP if you haven't and then try connecting by local IP instead of computer name

7. moellerk

moellerk Thread Starter

Alright, let's break it down.

What I have:

1 Vista Business Laptop - 192.168.2.59, AVG off, firewall off
    1 XP Pro desktop - 192.68.2.25, AVG off, firewall off

I am able to ping both ways successfully and quickly.
    I am able to remote desktop connect from desktop to laptop no problem.
    I have Remote Assistance checked on both machines.

Error message I am receiving is exactly:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

This computer can't connect to remote computer.

Try connecting again. If problem continues, contact owner of the
    remote computer or your network administrator.

I have gotten this message basically since day one of owning this new laptop. And for note, on the same network, I am able to connect from the vista laptop to a W2K3 server without incident. Just not from Vista business laptop to this xp pro desktop.

8. moellerk

moellerk Thread Starter

Ahhhhhhhh, also of note I have Checkpoint VPN secure client running.........

......if I got into TCP/IP settings and uncheck "Checkpoint Secure Remote" I am able to rdp vista business into xp pro desktop, but then I am not able to use my VPN to connect to work.

One fix and another problem.

9. ~Candy~

Not familiar with that product, but, does it have some sort of setting, i.e. firewall?

10. moellerk

moellerk Thread Starter

Not too familiar with it, though I am do know it is very fussy and has required many previous calls to the helpdesk to get it working again.

I was hoping to use my laptop has my main PC (remoting into my other PCs, for work, server, other) without having to invest in a KVM, but not sure if that is going to be possible.

11. ~Candy~

I would think a KVM switch would work faster than remote desktop. Depending on how much you do when you are connected, I can only think that is painfully slow.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice