Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Vista Business Wireless connection OK but no connection to internet

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Sony VAIO laptop running Windows Vista Business, Intel Centrino Duo, 1 gb RAM. Was recently traveling. Used hotel wireless. Now having trouble with home office wireless connectivity. Will conntect to home office Linksys N router. Will send via wireless to printers on network. Yet will not connect to internet via wireless. WILL CONNECT to intenet if connected to the router via a cable. Have tried release and reset IP address, reset TCP/IP stack, and reset winsock. Have done re-install of the Linksys software (deleted the connection and followed the add new computer steps in the Linksys program.) In past had a HP laptop running Windows XP that had same problem, but simple IP address release and reset would fix that one. Thanks to anyone who has the fix to this one! Icarus50

#2 ·
Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#3 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to this - my business has keep me occupied. However, I finally got to run your suggested tests.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>
PING
192.168.1.102 Packets sent = 4, packets rec'd = 4

PING <default_gateway_address>
PING 192.168.1.1 Packets sent = 4, packets rec'd = 4

PING <dns_servers>
PING 172.16.2.5 Timed out Packets lost = 4
PING 172.18.82.11 Timed out Packets lost = 4

PING 206.190.60.37 Packets sent = 4, packets rec'd = 4

PING yahoo.com Timed out Packets lost = 4

Thanks for your continued help.

#4 ·
I got it. Since it would not ping the DNS server, I checked a desktop computer and found it had a different DNS number. So I went to the network icon, to the folder list on the left side and right clicked on 'network' On the next screen click on 'view status' to the right of the wireless network connection that was listed. On the next screen click on the 'properties' button at the bottom left (not the 'wireless properties' button). Highlight 'internet protocol vesion 4 (TCP?IPv4)' (not version 6). Click on 'properties' and then manually set the DNS server address.

That resolved the issue and the laptop now accesses the internet again. For some reason, the wireless network I was using while traveling reset the DNS address and it did not reset on the home network.

#5 ·
There you go, glad you sorted it out. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.