Solved: Vista crashing/unstable (crash while defragging)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spasss

Vista has been acting up on me for a while now. Mostly blue screen's and various application crashes (superfetch and quite a few other things). It seems to crash most while running a virus scan or IE9.

Yesterday in an attempt to try and smooth out the performance I tried to defrag my HDD's. During the defrag I ended up getting a blue screen. I left the defragging at that, but now im trying to install a game (starcraft2) which had installed perfectly fine no more then 48 hours ago, and I constantly get errors saying "Could not write ______ to disc".

My question is, could a crash during defrag corrupt the HDD and make it impossible to write to it? (above info if you think the problem could be easily fixed)

Triple6

Rob
A faulty hard drive could be the problem all along. Have you tested the hard drive? Each hard drive manufacturer puts out diagnostics that can test the hard drive.

I wouldn't blame defrag for damaging the drive if thats what it turns out to be, it could cause some file system corruption but that you can likely fix with a CHDKSK, I would more likely blame a failing drive for causing the crashes you experiencing though.

Yes I agree with triple6 on this, sounds like this was something that may have been going on for a little while.. chkdsk /f should be enough.

Spasss

Thanks. Would a faulty HDD also be progressively worse?
At first everything ran fine, then started having trouble with IE9 and some applications crashing, and then finally larger games/vista crashing itself, and then now (Get the vista loading screen, but the desktop doesn't load, just blank).

EDIT-The desktop loaded now.

Triple6

Rob
Yes, parts can get progressively worse, actually thats very common.

Also CHKDSK /F is not enough if the drive has bad sectors or has other problems beyond simple file system errors.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online