1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Disc D won't clean

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Andrew5555, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andrew5555

Andrew5555 Thread Starter

I'm getting "Low disc space" pop ups for Recovery drive disc(D).

When I go to perform Disc Cleanup for disc (D) ...It doesn't clean...(no files are deleted.) Disc remains full.

[OS disc drive (C) cleans fine] ....My specs and the drives current status are listed below.

Any suggestions for a solution or helpful info would be incredibly appreciated.:)

2. gyclone

gyclone

Since drive D is your recovery partition, you probably can't "clean" it with Windows Disk Cleanup, but a program like CCleaner (ccleaner.com) might work.

The Recovery Partition is not meant for storing anything but the files necessary to recover the system in the event of a massive failure. Neither you nor any programs should have been saving anything there (I'm not saying you did, just helping you understand). There shouldn't be much of anything that you could delete, except maybe some log files or some old Recovery snapshots, or something.

Also, have you noticed any change in the used or free space since this started happening? I'm wondering if anything at all has changed on that partition or if it's just that Windows just finally noticed. If the size doesn't continue to grow, which it shouldn't, not rapidly at least, then it's not much of a "problem", just a serious annoyance with those alerts popping up all the time.

3. Andrew5555

gyclone,

Thank you for your reply. Vista windows cleanup applys to recovery drive D. Suggesting an offering to clean/ delete all files except the most recent restore point. Apparently what has happened is backup files have automatically stored for the last 2 years every time automatic file backup is performed, which now fails because there's not enough space on this Recovery drive (D).

So I understand why the disc has become full. But when I use the disc cleanup on recovery disc drive (D) that is suggested it does not delete/clean anything. It remains full, and the automatic backup continues to fail as a result. Whereas disc cleanup on OS disc (C) works fine.

Any suggestions? or a source of info that may help me resolve this issue?

Thanks so much!

4. gyclone

gyclone

Easiest option is to download CCleaner from http://ccleaner.com. It will clean just about anything. Also, you can manually delete the old files. I'd keep the last few, just to be safe.

5. Andrew5555

How can I manually delete files on this drive (D)? ....Where can I find them to delete?...What's the process?

Thanks!

6. gyclone

gyclone

Okay, I may have spoken too soon about deleting them manually, for which I apologize. I can't find any information regarding a file type or the exact folder structure and everything I'm seeing says "you cannot browse these files", which means you can't delete them, either, at least not through conventional means.

I would again point you toward CCleaner. It is free and is a wonderful tool; I install it on every machine I touch. I am very confident that, unless this problem is just the most obvious symptom of a less obvious problem, CCleaner will fix it (there is a "System Restore" section under the "Tools" menu that lets you select which restore points to delete). Even if it doesn't fix this problem, running it will clean up all kinds of garbage that Disk Cleanup won't touch. Also, you can use it to completely, securely wipe drives. I really feel that is your best bet (and no, I have no affiliation with that company, I just love the product).

7. Andrew5555

I installed and ran the CCleaner and it didn't clean drive D, despite my checking the (D) box. I did however manually go into the drive and delete several back up files which did free up 4GB out of 13 GB of space on (D).

Thanks for all of your feedback! :)

8. gyclone

gyclone

Excellent! Sorry I wasn't able to be more help, and I'm literally shocked that CCleaner didn't do the trick (could be an advanced setting issue that I'm not remembering). Just for my future reference, did you happen to notice the file extension of the backup files you deleted?

9. Andrew5555

I don't recall seeing any file extension. They just looked like this:
    I eliminated all except the most recent. Maybe the "C" in the name "CClean" refers to cleaning OS system (C) disc drives?

Looks like a good one stop shopping tool that I'm going to keep anyway.

Thanks again!

10. gyclone

gyclone

Thanks for the response!

The "C" actually stands for "Crap" (I'm not making this up). It definitely cleans other drives, external media, etc. Those Recovery Partitions, Shadow Copy, and System Restore configurations can be dramatically different from machine to machine. Some machines have no Recovery Partition at all and the System Restore Points and Shadow Copies go to other locations, my system is that way, for instance. With that in mind, I guess I'm not terribly surprised that the cleaners are missing it.

Glad you're fixed!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice