1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista File type Associations

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Noyb, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

In W-XP .. For picture file types …
    I can go to folder options .. file types .. and change or add to the right click context menu “open with options”

I'd like to add the option to open with Photoshop or Image Ready for some Image types...
    Without going to the "Open With" procedure ... and maybe change the EDIT default.

I can’t figure out how to do this in Vista HP.
    Anyone figured it out yet ???

For example .. Here's what I'd like to see in Vista ..

Attached Files:

• OW.gif
      OW.gif
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Noyb

3. melonhead

melonhead

When I right click on a picture, a box appears with the Open With... command. On the bottom of this menu you can click on. Choose Default Program. A dialogue box will appear where you can add Photoshop by clicking on the Browse button.

I hope this is what you meant. Wasn't quite sure if this is what you were asking for.

4. Noyb

Not Quite … And this is just a really lazy man’s question.

Your procedure will change the computers default program for opening a specific file type.
    For images, I like to have Irfanview as my default Viewer and Image editor for all pictures.
    For Vista .. Irfanview still seems better than M$ Photo gallery as the computer’s default program for pictures.
    Then I usually use Photoshop if I need more editing power.

I understand that if I want to open a picture in another program, such as Photoshop …
    I can Right Click > chose “Open With” and pick an alternate program…And choose to make it the default or not.

At the top of the W-XP right click dialog box .. (previous attachment) ...
    I could add Photoshop or Image Ready as an alternate choice in with the Open – Edit – ..etc … choices.
    Or other “custom” choices depending on the specific file type being worked on.
    See previous XP attachment as compared to Vista Below.

This (one click) option saves clicking on “open with” … going hunting and choosing to not have it the default.
    Like I said .. This is a lazy man’s question.
    I seems like M$ has scattered theses controls all over the place…
    and I have the feeling that M$ has removed the ability to “customize” the top of this dialog box.

I also have the feeling that If a program isn’t used for a while .. it disappears from the “Open With” list ..
    And then your really have to really go browsing deep inside the computer to find it.

This is tough to explain (hope I used all the right words) ..
    In Summary ....
    All I want to do is to be able to add My favorite choices along with Open - Edit - Print ..etc .. one click choices.

Attached Files:

5. PommyTom

PommyTom

6. Noyb

Welcome to the TSG Torum ...

I'm so disappointed in Vista ... I think I'll stay on XP for a long time.
    Thanks for the tip .... I'll save this in my Vista stuff collection.

7. frappet

frappet

8. Noyb

Thanks, but doesn't seem like that's what I'm looking for.

One of these days, When I'm forced to use Vista, guess I'll just have to use a few extra mouse clicks and find what I want to "Open With" ... If I want to jump to somewhere besides the default program.

Kinda like turning Vista Off.
    Now I have to read the fine print and take a multiple choice test ... Just to turn it Off.
    What ever happened to "User Friendly" :mad:

9. devil_himself

devil_himself

10. Noyb

Thanks, But those look like an extension, or modification, to the "Open With" procedures.

For some of my file types in XP, I like to set up the R click context menu so that my alternate choices are immediately available without have to go to the "Open With" Browse route.

Looks like this another one of those "lost cause" issues with Vista .....
    Like being forced to see Thumbnails when I choose to display Icons for Image files.

Attached Files:

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Noyb,
    What you are wanting did NOT come with XP. You either did a REG hack or a third party program that set it for you in XP.

Can you post a screen shot of what you get in XP?

12. Noyb

If you meant my gif Icon ... Yes, it's a customized Irfanview Icon in Irfan's plugins ... (My cat's blue eye) ...
    so I can see the file type ... easier.
    It would be nice if Vista let me use it.

As far as the R click context menu in XP ... It's just an ordinary Folder Options >>> file types Edit

Attached Files:

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried "Control Panel, Default programs, Set Associations"?

14. Noyb

Yes (As I remember) .. But I'd have to plug in my eSATA External and Boot to my Vista drive to check again.
    I think this is only for the default opening programs .. And as far as Image files ... Irfanview takes care of this.

15. Noyb

Many Thanks Ya’ll .. But I think we’re beating a dead horse.

This is kinda an old post, and I’ve given up on making Vista run as good (user friendly) as my XP.

I have stored my Vista drive in a desk drawer, and I'm waiting on Vista SP1, to see if any improvements will be provided.

I’ve gone to “Thread Tools” and marked this one “Solved”

Like Vista, I couldn’t find the tool to mark it “Solution Impossible” :D
    Maybe TSG SP1 .. you think ??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice