1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista hangs, can't use...help if you can!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pmyossib, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmyossib

pmyossib Thread Starter

Hi,

My Windows Vista machine (home premium 32-bit SP1) is unusable. I've had it for a year and have not had any problems until now. The machine is a Dell XPS M1330 BIOS version A12. Its a pretty spec'd up machine:
    Intel Dual core (2GHz)
    4GB RAM (although only 3.5 are accessible in 32-bit I believe)
    160GB HDD

Here are the symptoms I am experiencing:
    - Internet Explorer Hangs. I am using IE8 which has been working fine for a few weeks with no issues. I have tried uninstalling it by going to "view installed updates" but that hangs.
    - Outlook (and in fact most programs hang immediately on opening)
    - Opening Networking and sharing centre hangs immediately
    - hangs during "logging off" phase of shut down.
    - trying to uninstall something from "programs and features" hangs. e.g. trying to uninstall Roxio will hang and it wont uninstall.
    - control panel can only be accessed in classic view otherwise it will hang.
    - can't boot into safe mode except for Directory Services Repair Mode which I can boot into, but I then experience all the hanging issues as with normal mode.
    - Task manager doesn't open. When I start task manager (either from ctrl-alt-del or by right clicking the start bar and selecting task manager) the icon shows in the system tray, but there is no way of getting the Task Manager window to show. I have tried double clicking and right clicking the icon in the system tray but no response.
    - The network icon in the system tray shows the network is disconnected (i.e. with a red cross) but actually it is connected and works. I know it is connected because i can successfully download anti-virus updates and i can access my network drives.

Here is what I have done:
    - run Pre-Boot system assessment by holding down the Fn key during boot. This found no issues but took an extraordinarily long time to complete, so I replaced the motherboard (and heat sink and fan) which brought the Pre-boot system assessment run time back to normal but did nothing to fix my issues. (replacements were done by Dell as the system is still under warranty)
    - run antivirus (AVG Free)
    - run Adaware
    - run Search and Destroy
    - run Free Registry Clearner for Vista
    - run Error Repair Professional
    - run Vundofix.exe
    - run lspfix

The registry cleaners found a bunch of dead links/entries all of which i deleted, and a few tracking cookies but no malware, trojan, viruses etc. Anti virus found nothing. Vundofix found nothing.

I am on the verge of a system re-build which I would really rather not do and have never had to do in many years over several windows machines.

I will take any advice or suggestion you have.

Thanks.

Paul.

2. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

Internet Explorer Hangs: IE8 is in beta as far as I know. You should use firefox instead.

Your computer sounds like it's in a wreck. Have you tried system restore? If you can I would suggest a format, that seems like the common solution for hanging problems.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

IE 8 is beta and should have never been installed unless you are willing to put up with problems . . If you uninstall it, your issues should go away.

Whatever issues were not caused by IE8 were likely caused by using the registry cleaner . . those things will often do more damage than good . . I'd unistall that also.

What is Error Repair Professional? . . sounds like more junkware

4. pmyossib

pmyossib Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. Yes my system was a wreck...but I have made some good progress.

Error Repair Professional was recommended at another forum I was reading, so I gave it a try (couldn't hurt given the state of my PC). It seems legit to me and didnt do any more damage. Note that all the registry scanners I'm using including that one (with the exception of AVG antivirus) have been installed purely to try and fix this problem.

Regarding IE8. Yes I took a risk, but I have since un-installed it but my problem remains.

Update on the problem:
    By using Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) I was able to narrow the problem down to one service called Windows Event Log (which was consuming 50% CPU). If I reboot my machine with this service disabled all my problems go away. As soon as I re-enable it (by setting 'startup type' back to Automatic and rebooting or just manually starting it) the problems come back immediately. It was only through disabling this service this that I was able to uninstall IE8 (since I couldnt even do that before).

So gladly I can now use my computer at least, but this isn't a permanent fix since I'm sure my PC will need this service at some stage.

Any ideas on what to do from here?

Really appreciate your help.

5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

I strongly suggest you System Restore or Format.
    Now, you say Event Viewer was what was causing it, however, everybody has Event Viewer on.
    Since your Event Viewer is spiking, I'm suspecting that something is causing so many errors, that it's keeping your Event Viewer rather busy.
    Can you still open it with the service disabled and see past events?

6. pmyossib

pmyossib Thread Starter

No, event viewer complains that the 'event log service' is unavailable.

is it possible that the Windows Event Log services (or associated dll file) is corrupt?

7. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

no its probably because you disabled the service. i just wanted to know why it was using so much CPU, i was suspecting because a lot of errors were being reported

8. pmyossib

pmyossib Thread Starter

I restarted the service and the event viewer is accessible again.
    There is nothing in the log that indicates a lot of events as far as I can tell.
    In the last 7 days there have been:
    No Critical events
    23 Error events - most relating to me having to shut down by physically powering off.
    1419 Information events
    1565 Audit Success events
    230 Audit Failure events

Are any of these numbers out of the ordinary or enough to use 50% CPU constantly?....they are not spikes by the way it was a constant 50% CPU usage.

Interestingly since I brought the Windows Event Log services back up my machine is working normally. I don't know what made the difference.

Thanks for all your help. I suppose I should mark the thread as solved.

If you have any more input please post it as I would still like to know if these numbers above are normal.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice