1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista hardware detection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pinaar, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Hi,
    Had a problem with 1 of our laptops and had to do a complete restore, when it all came back to running I can't get an internet connection. If I go to the wireless connection my network is listed but after inputting keyword phrase it can't connect. If I go to "set up a connection" > "set up a wireless router" Windows does not detect any wireless network hardware.
    I can connect if I plug in the ethernet cable directly and this laptop was connecting perfectly to this router before the crash and restore.

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Have you tried troubleshooting the network connection? This can sometimes resolve issues, by itself.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you installed the latest wireless driver (from the laptop manufacturer for an integrated adapter & from the card manufacturer for an external card)?

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

4. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Have tried but keep getting pushed round in circles. Don't get how it's finding the network but can't connect but also says can't detect the hardware. How is it picking up the network if it can't find the hardware to do it.

5. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Just found 106 windows updates, I'll let them download and then check the drivers and see if anything changes, may be a while.
    Didn't really want to mess with the router as it's quite new and has been working perfectly up till now - touch wood, hope that's not the kiss of death.

6. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Quick update, downloaded all 106 windows updates and updated wireless drivers from the site. All seems to be sorted now thanks everyone who helped.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Great! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice