1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista has lost it's mind!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CoasterFreak, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    Alright Guys,
    I'm really calling on you for this one. My roommate's computer has lost it's mind. And I must admit I rely heavily on my tech tools to repair pc problems but i don't bring 'em to school with me. Anyways, I think I might have this down. My roommie says he couldnt print to his printer so naturally I told him to restart (that fixes most problems). After he restarted, he started getting error messages and vista permissions messages outta the ying-yang. He can print now, but McAfee keeps popping up error messages (we counted 32 in a row). He cannot launch Internet Explorer without a permissions message. He cannot play any songs in iTunes. I think it could be a Virus or maybe McAfee decided to completely take over. Any suggesstions on how to fix? I would love to remove McAfee and see if the problem persists, but I don't believe he has it with him, so he would be unable to reinstall.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    "McAfee decided to completely take over"
    You are most likely correct. Uninstall it, and you can always install a free AV and fire wall such as AVAST and ZoneAlarm.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Mcaffee is probably the worst of any AV app. At least it is a close race between mcaffee and norton. In any case uninstall mcaffee and go with a quality AV like nod32. If you want a free AV, then both avg and avast work well.

Here is a link to a page with a tool to completely remove mcaffee mcafee removal link

4. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Thanks crjdriver and DaveA for the link. I removed McAfee and it improved part of the problem. But I still keep getting Windows Security Error messages for EVERYTHING. Windows won't even let me plug in my flash drive because it won't install device drivers. I'm thinking my buddy needs to reformat, but i'm trying to avoid that. You guys think it's a registry entry I can change. Windows shouldnt return a Security Error message each time and make me click continue and THEN bring up the UAC for me to hit continue again. Very strange.

5. Jacee

Jacee

Run Kasperky's online virus scan:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan.html

1. click the "Accept" button to
    accept the user agreement, install the ActiveX control, and download the
    program.
    2. When you get the Windows dialog asking if you want to install this
    software, click the "Install" button.
    3. When the "Update progress" line changes to "Ready" and the
    "NEXT ->" button lights up with a
    green arrow, click it.
    4. Click on the "Scan Settings" button, and in the next window
    select the "extended" database, and click Ok.
    5. Under "Please select a target to scan:", click My Computer
    to start the scan.
    6. When the scan is finished, click the "Save as .txt" button, and
    save the file as kavscan.txt to your Desktop, close the Kaspersky On-line
    Scanner window.

It won't 'fix' anything, but it should give you an idea if you're dealing with a virus or malware.

6. gr277

gr277

I can not understand why people still use McAfee or Norton..:eek:

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You and me both but I guess the major reason is it starts with the free 60 days or 90 days free versions on branded pc's.

8. karl_stade

karl_stade

Plus their market share.

It's what happens when they advertise so heavily in stores and in media. People who don't know any better walk into PC shops asking for Nortons and most won't be convinced that it isn't really the best solution.

At a store I used to work we mainly sold Nortons, as it was in our retail catalogues, but we always had a few copies of Kaspersky on the back shelf for people who knew, or could be convinced, better.

In relation to this thread, yes I too would suggest removing the AV with a remover tool, and then running an online virus scan. See how that goes before doing any formats.

9. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Yeah, I'm still sticking by my system restore opinion. The system is unresponsive to everything. It won't take ANY new software/hardware including flash drives. It won't allow me to run Kaspersky scan. It only uninstalls software in safe mode (but does not install). Anyone have any other suggesstions before I help my roommate backup his info and run a restore? And Windows System Restore (as i already knew), did absolutely nothing!

10. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
  11. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    We had to go ahead with the System Restore...unfortuantely. Thanks for everyone's suggesstions though!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice