Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Vista home basic update errors

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  DurangoJazz 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1250, x64 Family 15 Model 127 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1918 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 142835 MB, Free - 87267 MB; D: Total - 9789 MB, Free - 3472 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway, MCP61SM2MA
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated and Enabled

The two updates below will not install. I have researched until my brain freezes and my eyes crossed. I have used ms "hotfix-it" tool and installed the ms fix-it center. The report came back that the updates installed in the wrong place. They suggested a clean install but I don't like that solution because the system always asks me a question that I can not answer and of course my choice will be the wrong choice. I am exhausted trying. If it automatically installed in the wrong place the first time what's to say it won't do it again? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)
Installation date: ‎6/‎11/‎2012 6:26 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 8024200D
Update type: Important
Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938371
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Installation date: ‎6/‎11/‎2012 6:25 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 800B0100
Update type: Important
The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

See less See more
#5 ·
Ok. I tired to install sp2. This is what it said:
Installation not sucessful. A system error prevented the sp2 from installing.
Please download and run "check for system update and readiness" tool.
If that doesn't work goto ms website.
Error: trust_E_NOSIGNATURE (0x800b0100)

#9 ·
K, this is one I bumped into a while back, under a windows 7 OS, but problem appears to be the same.
Its the Registry. Well it was for me.

In c:\windows\system32\config are your Registry hives, there is also a directory called RegBack which should contain older versions of your registry hives,
Usign a windows install disk, boot into CD, and then "Repair my computer" - (this will give us a CMD prompt with the ability to fiddle with system files without windows stopping us... )
Now make a new directory, call it regNEW and copy all current reg hives (components, default, Sam, security etc) into there - K. thats a safe place for our originals.
Now Copy from RegBack to overwrite our hives and then try again.

Registry issues are complexed and you should make backups before playing with any major system fiddle like this.

The result. Well the computer went from Pig to Running Wolf with that procedure, and I was then able to install service pack etc.
The cause. In my case the DEFAULT and SAM hives in his original where rather large, nearly 200kb larger than the RegBack Hives - so it appears some malware or whatever did some new code. Even thou that was removed the registry still possessed the crap and not Ccleaner or god could put them back to the way it was.

If you don't have a windows disk that can go to WinPE mode, you will need to get one. its the only way to do this trick.

#10 ·
Ok. I'm a little in the dark here. My machine came from emachines and there is an "Operating System Disc" for re-installation of the operating system and a "Restore DVD" which claims to have a complete back up of the software that was pre-installed at the factory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand that you want me to use the "Operating system disc" to to follow your instructions and when you say try again you mean try to install the updates again. I don't mean to sound reduntant but I also understand that I'm messing with a "do it rite or die" part of the computer. The machine I'm talking about is the one I'm using.

I will make a back up of my files and return here just incase you have something to add; then I will proverbially hold my breathe and make the sign of the cross. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.