1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Install DVD won't complete?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stepheno, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

I need to perform a format and re-install. The install procedure extracts the files, gets to the Windows screen and then hangs with the picture off centre. The only thing I can do is reboot.

I have two SATA HDD's and the CD/DVD drive set as secondary master. Nothing is set in Primary IDE. Any help gratefully received.

regards

Stephen

2. fel1x

fel1x

a frequent issue is too much ram but you do not give your specs so if you have 4 +++ Gb of ram try by removing all but 1 gb
    other issues to contend with is integrated items so remove all you can like graphics,printers web cams etc

3. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, I'm not sure specs will help here but I have 2gb ram. I have the feeling the problem is with the sata hdd's and dvd-rom setup, I've even tried with an IDE hdd in the primary Master but it won't even get past the bootcheck with that in. I'm going to try your suggestion of stripping back to bare-bones.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Are the drives recognised in bios?
    Is sata enabled in bios?
    If your motherboard is fairly old then the sata drivers need to be installed before windows.
    Not too sure what applies here as we have no specs of the machine

5. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks Bigbear - I'll post specs tomorrow.

6. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Further to Bigbear's post here's my spec - oh, and the SATA drives and DVD all show up in BIOS, load correctly on Windows boot and work correctly.

• Athlon64 3500+ 2.3Ghz
    • AS Rock ALive NF4G-DVI mobo
    • 2Gb Ram in 4 slots of 512mb
    • Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit SP2 which runs fine but wont load up for a re-install
    • SATA1 320Gb partitioned as C: and D: with OS on C:
    • SATA2 1Tb as D: for media backup (photos)
    • IDE Primary empty
    • IDE Secondary Master with DVD-ROM

7. fel1x

fel1x

8. bigbear

bigbear

9. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks Felix (y) Bigbear - I appreciate that but how do I install the SATA drivers when I've only got the BIOS to work on?

10. bigbear

bigbear

You need to install the drivers on a floppy disc and load them at the F6 prompt before windows starts to install

11. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Floppy disk :eek: I haven't used one of them in years, I'll try to give it a whirl - thanks.

12. bigbear

bigbear

Hold on!!!!!!!! Sorry took my eye of the ball you don't need to load any sata drivers only if you want to set up raid.
    Go into bios> advanced>IDE configuration and make sure sata is enabled

13. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks Bigbear - everything works fine EXCEPT now the PC will not boot from the Install DVD whether I change boot order in Setup (F2) or boot sequence (F11). Thanks for your time - I think a new mobo is due.

14. drakeonfire

drakeonfire

You could always try booting it from USB with the files on the USB, as this is generally faster than installing from a DVD / CD anyway.

15. bigbear

bigbear

Yes bring up the boot sequence and choose dvd as first boot

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice