1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista install on a replacement MoBo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parasolution, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parasolution

parasolution Thread Starter

I had to replace the MoBo on my HTPC which had an Intel board and a P4 3.0ghz processor. A friend gave me a Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board to use which has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 (dual core) processor. So far, the installation has been a nightmare. It's been slow, files have been corrupt and I'm essentially on my 10th time trying to install Home Premium 32 bit.

Installation is very slow, it can take up to 3 hours just to complete. I didn't have this problem with my old Intel board. Once the OS is installed, I again have problems with installation, this time with programs and windows updates. All windows updates fail and installation of such programs such as iTunes can take 45 minutes. But the OS seems to run normally..

Help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where is the hangup? Is the processor running at full speed?

Run PCWizard[​IMG]. Check the numbers for RAM, CPU, etc. You can also run benchmarking tools with it to see how fast it's really working.

3. parasolution

Processor is running at full speed and all the BIOS settings are correct.

The initial problem was with the OS install. It would load slow (for example, just to reach the initial install instruction screens on Vista could take 45 minutes) or not reboot after certain installation sections. Once the system would finally install, then additional drivers that needed to be installed (like video, audio, etc) could take as long as an hour to load or most of time fail. For example, trying to load a simple driver for my video card took 30 minutes. Also, all Windows updates failed, not a single one would install. Then the system wouldn't reboot or shut down, it would just hang.

I checked the even log manager and it had several errors. Ran SFC /scannow and it said several files were corrupt.

Anyhow, the same scenario kept repeating itself after 2 days of installs. This isn't the first time I've installed an OS, been doing it for awhile, but this is the first time I've had problems and this only the second time I've owned an AMD system, 95% of all my other builds have ben Intel's. Not sure if this board has issues with Vista.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may be as simple as a bad optical drive. Files might get corrupted and be slow to copy if the drive was having problems reading the medium. Or the drive may not be connected correctly. Make sure that the cables and jumpers are correct. Also check BIOS to be sure that the fastest speed is enabled for the drive and that both PIO and DMA are options.

You might even try another drive.

But almost the same symptoms would result if the hard drive were having problems. Writes may be slow and verification causing rewrites. Test the HD, too, and double-check on all BIOS settings and cables. If there are file errors, it is probably the drive. But bad memory can mimic a bad drive, so test memory before anything else. All other tests use memory so they will not be accurate if RAM is bad.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 This is a retail ver of vista and not a ver that comes with a hp, dell, etc correct?

2 Since the old board failed, have you replaced the pw supply as well?

3 Does the new board post in a reasonable amount of time or is that slow as well?

6. parasolution

I know its not the optical drive, as I tried installing XP Pro and Windows 200 Pro and both installed in under 30 minutes. The HTPC has 2 optical drives, a DVD and a Blu Ray, one connected on IDE and the other on SATA, install of Vista is the same on either drive. Plus I installation of drivers is still slow from downloaded software. For example just trying to load an audio driver for the sound card took 45 minutes.

The hard drive, memory and PS have all been tested and all work fine. This is aretail version of Vista and the board will POST quickly without any issues.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked and that board has had a number of bios updates. Are you running the latest bios for your board?

It looks like the last one had some fixes in it for the pci bridge, etc.

8. parasolution

I reflashed the BIOS and turned off some things in the BIOS such as onboard sound and firewire.

Installation is going faster this time around. I got to the Product Key entry in just a few minutes. Didn't have to wait for 30 minutes. Keeping fingers crossed until complete.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ops just saw something else. It has been a while so I just about forgot the nforce4 and dual core problem. Even though nvidia claims the nforce4 supports the dual core cpus, it has problems.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hopefully the bios update fixed your problem. If you have problems with usb and or stability, the nforce4 and dual core cpu are most likely the problem.

11. parasolution

It didn't have the latest BIOS, but it wasn't that old. Not sure if it was the reflash or some of the other things I turned off in BIOS that helped, but everything installed much easier this time.

I'll need to read up on the nForce4 and dual core issue. Not familiar with that problem.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!