1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by NLCandyman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NLCandyman

NLCandyman Thread Starter

Hi,

I got a problem with installing 'Windows Vista'.

When i boot Vista from DVD it goes to the installation screen, everything works fine.
    ( Copying Windows Files / Expanding Files / Installing Features / Installing Updates )

but.. when it gets to Complete Installation it seems like setup isn't doing anything,
    after about 20/30 minutes without any reboot, i get to see this message:

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart installation.

if i restart the installation it does the same thing...

Thing that i tried:

1. Formatted all HDD's
    2. Re-installed XP and then tried to install Vista

Allready trying for about a month, and still not working.

A few months ago i was able to install the Beta version of Windows Vista, but even if i try to install the beta i get the same message?

Hope you guys can help me, Thanks in advance.

Candyman

-------------------------------

Edit: System Specs:

Motherboard: MSI P4MAM-V ( MS-6787 )
    Processor: Intel Celeron D 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 1024 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    Graphics Card: Asus Radeon 9550
    Hard Disk: 40 GB @ 7200RPM , 40GB @ 5400RPM , 250GB @ 7200RPM
    Current OS: Windows XP SP2 NL

2. NLCandyman

Someone plz help? :(

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Weird. Did you change any hardware from when you had the beta?

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I have only encountered that in help files when users are trying to upgrade (or overwrite XP with the installation) or runnung the installation from a media other than the DVD, such as a directory on the HD. Other than that, the installation is easier than XP. is it possible your DVD has become corrupt?

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

If the DVD was corrupted then the beta should work. :confused:

6. NLCandyman

I haven't changed anything about hardware,

and the dvd isn't corrupted, cause if it was, like MMJ said, the beta would still work

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you have a problem doing an install, the very first thing to do is check the hardware. Download and run memtest86. It runs from bootable media; no need for an os to be installed. Let memtest run overnight or for at least 4hr. If there is one error, you have a problem.

Is the machine overclocked at all?

Have you tried an install with just one hd and one dvd drive installed ie no printer, usb hub, scanner, etc connected?

Have you checked the motherboard makers site for any bios updates that address acpi issues?

8. NLCandyman

Well... i have my machine overclocked... in bios.. from 2.4 to 2.7GHz.

i haven't tried it with just one hd connected, i will try that later today.

and yes i have checked the motherboard makers site , there weren't any updates at all.

,, but the most weird thing is this message; Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart installation....

everyone with overclocked system , more hdd's and stuff can install it correctly, except me :?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Never Never try to install on an overclocked machine [or do a bios update for that matter] If you have to oc the machine, do it in small steps once you have a stable os installed.

Return all bios settings to stock and do the install AFTER you test the memory. Once you have a stable os installed, then you can attempt an oc of the system.

10. NLCandyman

didn't knew that, thanks crjdriver(y)

i will reset the bios settings to stock later, then run memtest, and if it works fine i wil try to install vista again :) so then it 'should' work

11. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Sorry, I must have missed something. If the installation dvd was corrupt, it may have copied some files onto the HD installation which were also corrupt, such as the setup wizard, the final installation phase. Is this a wrong assumption.? Vista has a different method of installation from the past, and copies over an image, to speed up the procedure. It could possibly not recognise a corrupt file. ??

12. NLCandyman

Yeah !

I did a bios reset, so the overclock and stuff were gone, tried to install Vista again, and it works :D

Thanks guys :)

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it to work. I will mark this one as solved for you.

FWIW your problem was most likely caused by file corruption due to the overclock. When you oc a system, you often oc the pci bus as well. This can and often does lead to data corruption.

14. MMJ

MMJ Guest

If I understand you correctly then... He also said that he formatted all HDDs but it still didn't work.

15. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Thanks from me too, that was interesting.

What was strange is that the beta worked on the same hardware config yet it didn't work later.

Oh well.

Thanks again. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice