1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista & itunes - CD drive missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by itunes girl, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itunes girl

itunes girl Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I recently downloaded itunes 8 to my Toshiba laptop, running Vista, and now the CD drive is missing from the device manager. I have run the service pack 1 update, deleted the upper and lower registry filters, and uninstalled itunes. These are the only fixes I have seen published anywhere, and none of them have worked for me.

The drive is appearing in the BIOS, so I know it's not the drive itself that's the problem.

I can't download any drivers for the drive because it's not in the device manager I don't know what model it is without physically removing it from the laptop. Any ideas/clues for how I can fix this?? Getting very frustrated!

2. gurutech

gurutech

This just happened to me the other day. If your CD drive is "removeable", try removing it (with laptop ON), and reinsterting it. My drive was then redetected at this point.

3. itunes girl

Thanks, but the CD drive is inbuilt so that's not an option for me.

Someone else has suggested I reinstall XP, has anyone else tried this with/without success?

Any other suggestions welcome

4. itunes girl

Hi all,

have since discovered my CD drive problem may not have been caused by itunes, but a coincidence in timing.

The CD drive does appear, but only when my laptop is plugged into the power source.

Seems it is now a hardware issue, lucky still under warranty so will get Toshiba to check it out.

Thanks for yur help

5. gurutech

gurutech

You may want to check BIOS settings and/or Power Management settings in Vista. It may be configured to disable the CD drive when running on battery power....

6. itunes girl

Hi Gurutech,

spot on, thanks so much. Had the laptop in powersave mode, as soon as I switched to high performance the drive is back.

Thanks again

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice