1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Laptop doesn't recognize password to access MAC on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rtangerine, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rtangerine

rtangerine Thread Starter

I have 3 computers on a network over a linksys WRT54G router. A netbook running XP, an HP laptop running Vista Home Premium SP2, and a MAC running OS 10.5.8. All 3 show on all computer network locations and I can access files between each of them EXCEPT the HP Laptop under VISTA to the MAC. For that connection, VISTA wants a user name and password and I enter the same (and only user) name that I have on the MAC and I get the message that Windows cannot find that machine and asks me to check the user name/password. I use that same user/password combo when accessing the MAC from the XP Netbook, it works fine. What can I do in VISTA to get to the MAC. I know that the user name/password I am using is the only one that exists on the MAC. I also have 2 printers attached and they both work fine on all 3 computers.;)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. rtangerine

rtangerine Thread Starter

The two articles are for Windows 7. I am dealing with Vista, XP, and MAC OSx.
    HOWEVER, I have been trying to solve this problem for weeks and while I was trying things from these articles I tried something just for the heck of it. (Something I never even considered before). The dialog box requesting my username/password shows at the top that it was connecting to MACxxxxxxxxxxxx, the identity for my MAC. So I was just entering a user name than the password. I tried ... MACxxxxxxxxxxxx\user name ... then the password! IT WORKED.
    So thank you, even though it didn't directly solve my problem, your input got me to see the light somehow. ;)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    glad to have helped in at least a little way , if only just to rethink things
    (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice