1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Laptop Having Problems With WinZip and WinRAR

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dantesgirl, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl Thread Starter

Hi,

I downloaded both a five-part and a six-part ZIP file from a trusted website, but both of them fail to extract.

Everytime I extract in either WinZip or WinRAR, I get both a CRC mismatch and a packed data CRC.

I'm not stupid - I know that these errors are supposed to indicate corrupted files, but I don't understand how two downloads in a row can be corrupted from a stickied thread which files are checked on a regular basis, so obviously the problem lies within my laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Something very strange just happened - I went to extract the files on my USB pen and everything seemed to be going well until it ran out of memory. So I moved the files to the PC again and tried extracting it, and the same messages came up. Now I KNOW the problem lies within my computer.

EDIT EDIT: Plugged my iPod into my laptop and tried extracting it onto there. It got to around 76% before the same message came up. This is damn frustrating!

2. JDV28

JDV28

i guess you could try uninstalling and reinstalling winrar or winzip if you have not yet done so.

3. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

4. Dantesgirl

Thanks very much,
    I busted my little behind last night trying to find solutions for this problem, and that was one of the solutions I found.

The files extracted okay, but when I went to mount the .ISO, it couldn't find it.

I'm about to edit my message, something very strange just happened. Thanks anyway!

5. JDV28

JDV28

i guess this problem is alot deeper than winrar. As you have said

6. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Do you have access to a second computer to try doing the extracting on? Perhaps the problem actually is with the files (and whoever is responsible for maintaining them haven't checked them recently.

7. Dantesgirl

My old computer's unattended, I'll try extracting it there.

I'll get back to you.

8. Dantesgirl

The same thing happened with my computer, I guess it really is the file.

Thanks for all your help, I'll contact the forum about the files.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice