1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Laptop - Intermittent D-Link Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jasper11, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. This is my first ever post so please bear with me! I'm pretty good with XP PCs but am new to networking (and Windows Vista!).

I have a PC running XP which connects to the internet perfectly everytime. Its hard-wired (Ethernet) to a D-Link DSL-2740B ADSL2+ modem router (Wireless-N).

I also have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (L300-1AP) running Vista. I have disabled the integrated wireless card and installed a D-Link Wireless-N Rangebooster USB adapter (EWA-140EU).

At first everything worked like a dream (the laptop is only three weeks old) but after two weeks, I started to lose connection. Webpages would just not load. Another symptom is that the laptop simply can't find the connection when it searches although it can detect other wireless networks in my street...its like the router just stops transmitting to the laptop. I have the laptop right next to the router so its not a range issue.

I called D-Link tech support (spoke to a guy clled "Frank" in India!)...he was very patient and really helpful. He got me to reset the router and redo my settings and everything was fine for a couple of days.

The problem was back within a day so I repeated what D-Link told me to do. It worked fine again for another couple of days. Yesterday I had a repeat of the connection failure.

This is getting really frustrating and surely can't be normal. I've not had wireless before so I don't know what to expect in terms of reliability.

Please can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong or something I could try for a more permanent fix?

Many thanks and kind regards from the UK!

Jasper :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If you upgrade it then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure.

Try different channels in case you are getting wireless interference. Try at least 1, 13 and one in the middle.

Is there a problem with the integrated adapter that forced you to go with USB?

3. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

Dear Terry

Thank you for your prompt response to my plea for help!

I have done the following:

1. Upgraded firmware on DLINK DSL-2740b router to latest version, reset all settings and reconfigured.

2. Updated driver for D-Link USB WA-140 & reinstalled

3. Tried several different channels on router including 1,13,3,5,7,9

4. I have moved the router into several different locations and checked that it is clear of any other equipment (phones, microwave etc) which might interfere.

The laptop is simply not detecting the wireless network from the router. This is the same for both the integrated and the USB adapter and both are detecting other networks in the street.

The integrated adapter is fine but only suited for wireless-b & wireless-g. The router and USB adapter are the alledgedly faster wireless-n standard.

If you can suggest anything else I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

Jasper :)

4. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

Update - I have just been trying to connect for the last hour. Sometimes the network is visible, sometimes it is not...but I can never connect to it because it keeps disappearing :(

I have double checked all my security settings (WPA/WPA2) and have entered passkey but doesn't make any difference.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that is happening only with the USB adapter I'd say the adapter is losing power, or the USB port is defective, or the USB adapter is defective. Try it with your other PC to see if there is any difference.

If it also happens with the integrated adapter the router appears to be defective.

6. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

I'll run some more checks and report back. I think I'll call DLINK again too and see what they say. Very many thanks for your time on this - I really appreciate it. Kind regards, Jasper

7. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

OK this might sound a bit weird but do you think that the problems could have been anything to do with the rouyter being located in the corner of the room behind the monitor and near to my speakers?

I have moved the router and (dare I say it!?) things seem to working normally, tonight at least.

How much impact can a badly positioned router have on whether things work or not?

If anyone is an expert on interference on wireless networks, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

...saying that, I'll probably be posting again in the next couple of days to say that things aren't working again. Ever the optimist.

Fingers crossed.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it was on the floor you can't position it much worse! :) Hard to tell how much the problem was obstruction and how much was interference, but does it matter?

9. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

OK I thought it was too good to be true! I've just lost wireless for no apparent reason.

Could it be that the router intermittently stops transmitting wireless signal?

I can connect fine via ethernet but neither the built in wireless card in my laptop nor the DLINK Rangebooster N USB stick is detecting my network wirelessly.

OK - fifteen minutes later, just about to post the message above...and my wireless connection is working fine again...I really don't understand what is going on!?

Do wireless signals simply drop out from time to time for no apparent reason?

If there are any wireless networking experts out there, please could you enlighten me?

Thank you

Jasper

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're close to the router, my guess is serious interference or your wireless router is crapping out.

11. Jasper11

Jasper11 Thread Starter

I've now moved the router to a more central location (away from the corner of the room and window) and so that it is higher than the surrounding desk, pc, monitor, speakers.

The connection is now perfect and the problems seem to have gone away...thank you John and Terry for your advice on this.

Great forum. (y)

Kind regards

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're certainly welcome. :) You now have pretty much an ideal router positioning: "a more central location (away from the corner of the room and window) and so that it is higher than the surrounding desk, pc, monitor, speakers."

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice