1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista loses display settings - garbled display

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zapp22, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

this is a strange one to me...:confused:

the hdwe is a hp "minitower" athlon processor, embedded nvidia vid, fairly fast and responsive on a good day.
    I worked on this system a year ago, obsessively, setting up Vista as well as is possible - lean/clean/stable.
    recently the primary user account, upon logging in, gets a "noise" display on the monitor that looks like an inability to sync.
    I shall not rule out the possibility that an "extortion-ware" malware is causing this but extensive checks don't show any malicious thingies. There is a lightly used, tech-support second user account that logs in fine.
    I set the display properties on the troubled account, the display looked normal again, but after a couple of days of use, the bad display issue is back.

is this a known issue? video refresh rate anomaly ??? why would it be "fine" for a year, then suddenly develop the problem? debug steps?

I worked on it 2 weeks ago and it was fine when I finished, now in the ditch again so I'm fishing for new debug steps to try and determine what exactly causes it to go non-linear...

thanks for your suggestions

2. dai

dai

try reinstalling the drivers

in the device manager uninstall the video card
    reboot tapping f8 and choose low resolution mode
    when windows finishes rebooting
    disable a/virus
    install your drivers
    reboot the computer

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

will do. I'm also taking a diff monitor with me for debugging purposes - want to see if problem recurs, if so, swap the mon and see if the same.
    if you have any other idea lemme know, and Thanks!

4. dai

dai

take a psu with you as well,a higher wattage than is in it

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

well well... what a strange day its been. The symptom appears to have been caused by a poorly-executing Rootkit infection: whistler.c and .a. the system had no other symptoms and previous routine full scans with malwarebytes and AVAST had missed these.

I got suspicious when it went symptomatic while I was at a Windows Recovery screen - thus, pre-boot... while I was deciding whether to just try the normal bootup it flipped the display and seemed to lockout keyboard. looking at the display very carefully it looked like a set of characters arranged in a pattern that resembled the sort of diagonal wave thing that results from bad sync. so this was not at all like the more creative 'extortion' rootkits- FBI Warnings or Fake Facebook advisories, stuff like that. noticed one living, and leftovers of one uninstalled P2P apps - always a red flag. while first uninstalling, then deleting the folders left behind, something tried to duck/hide and AVAST caught it on the fly this time. Took awhile but it looks to be clear now. very strange day. Kredit Kaspersky for their TDSSKILLER - good things come from the KGB! I went ahead and uninstalled the embedded Nvidia adapter, then reinstalled it after the other steps. also scanned the nvidia hairball just to be sure.....

6. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted thanks for posting the solution

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice