Solved: VISTA - need an app to set power options by time, not idle-time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oxcart

Hi folks,

In power options you can switch off the monitor only by time idle. I would like to be able to set a time of day. I can't see an inbuilt way of doing this, so does anyone know of a good application which will allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Ox.

You can use a batch file and change the idle time to one minute when you want it to turn off, and another to set it to however long you want during the time of day you use it, say 30 minutes, or 480 minutes.
Then create a scheduled task to run each batch file at the times you want.

Turn Off:
powercfg -CHANGE -monitor-timeout-ac 1

Turn On:
powercfg -CHANGE -monitor-timeout-ac 60

The monitor won't actually wake up until you start using the system.

Save each line in a text file and save them someplace with a .cmd extension, like MonOff.cmd and MonOn.cmd

If it's a laptop, and you want to change the settings when it's on the battery, use -monitor-timeout-dc

Then go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance
Under Administrative Tools click Schedule tasks
Click Action | Create Basic Task
Enter a Name and Description, click Next
Example:
Name - MonOff.
Description - Set Monitor Idle time to 1 minute
Select Daily, click Next
Set the time this task should run
Example: 11:00:00 PM
Leave Recur every: set to 1 Days
Click Next
Select Run a program, click Next
Click Browse...
Browse to the folder where the two files are located
Select the MonOff.cmd file and click Open
Click Next
Click Finish

Repeat for the MonOn.cmd file.

I use one file to toggle settings when I want to watch a video and don't want the screen to dim or turn off while watching.

Jerry

oxcart

Thanks for the posts guys. Ideally, I'd be able to get the monitor to come back on without needing user input - any ideas?

Use this for the wake up batch. If this is for a Kiosk display, you can set the time to 0 instead of 480 and it won't turn off until that is changed.
Code:
@Echo Off
(Echo.Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject^("WScript.Shell"^)
Echo.WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
)>"%temp%\_PEntr.vbs" "%temp%\_PEntr.vbs"
powercfg -CHANGE -monitor-timeout-ac 480
Cscript //nologo "%temp%\_PEntr.vbs"
Del "%temp%\_PEntr.vbs"

oxcart

PowerOff looks great but if I suggest an application it's going to have to be tested etc. If I can do it manually it would be easier to put in place.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Most computers these days you can basically just touch the keyboard and they come out of standby or hibernation.

I know PowerOFF works. My friends uses it at the school district he is the admin for. 1300+ computers.

oxcart

Yeah, I don't doubt that it works. It's just that there are procedures here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online