1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista problem downloading share price to excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Pedro15, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

I have a spreasheet with a macro that enables collection of data from a source and also the latest share price through Yahoo. On home computer which uses XP Professional , with office 2003 ,it woks no problems at all. However, on my laptop with Vista home, and the same office 2003 ,when I run macro it collects the data but not the share price collection from Yahoo. Any thoughts on the reason. New to forum and trust this is in the right section Thanks Pedro

2. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

Whilst I thought office 2003 would be just one version I have discovered that home computer using XP has Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568 )SP2 and the laptop which is the one that does not collect the share price has Excel 2003 (11.5612.5606) Could this be the problem Pedro

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Could be. Getting yahoo values has ALWAYS been tricky in Excel. If you're going to try that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check out the SMF ADDIN Group (on Yahoo groups). There is an add-in created by R. Hammerlink, an invaluable tool if you want to use Yahoo and grab values from the net. Afaiac it's the only way to go.

Oh, and here is a link...

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/?yguid=326739896

HTH

4. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I have posted my query there. Following discussions with the friend who compiled the macro he says the problem is that Vista is preventing Excel macro from creating a file styled"x.iqy" Pedro

5. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

Zack, I downloaded that Add in you suggested and it is a very good tool to have for getting info from Yahoo on companies. Pedro

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Yes, as far as I've seen it is the best tool for getting data from Yahoo [tickers]. Glad I could help point you to it. :)

7. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

Zack, I wonder if there is a shortcut to refresh the data. I am only using live prices at this stage and need to retype the ticker code to refresh. Any suggestions Pedro

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Your best route of information for that tool is the Yahoo group discussion board. You can subscribe to it and talk via email. I haven't used the add-in in quite a while, but I thought there was a refresh with it. You'll have to read the documentation or post to the yahoo group with a question. I don't have a solid answer for you on that.

9. Pedro15

Pedro15 Thread Starter

Thanks anyway Zack Pedro

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice