1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Problem =[

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by theriddler, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theriddler

theriddler Thread Starter

okay heres the problem.

Iv just reformatted my hardrive using the built in system recovery thing.
    when the computer reboots, it just boots to a black screen with a white cursor. iv left it on this for about 15 minutes, then it starts to blinker. It then reboots again back to the main normal windows, but there is a tool that pops up called system preparation 3.14 Iv checked everything and It just wont go away.

the thing is if I turn my computer off manually at the black screen, once I turn it back on it loads and then comes up with "windows could not complete the installation" and I have to start the whole process of system recovery again.

HELP

edit: ps I rang the support and they told me to just leave the laptop alone when it comes up with the preperation tool, as its installing things behind the scenes.
    I left the computer for 14 hours and it didnt do jack diddly squat. the stupid support troll wasted my time lol

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be worth redoing the install
    1) Make and Exact model of the machine
    2) HOW did you start the recovery - Did you reformat by using one of the F key at startup and then start the recovery partition program from that menu

3. theriddler

sorry not sure how to make an exact model, what do I do?
    I just put the recovery disk in and let it load up, it gives me the option to do a system restore or system recovery, I chose recovery. it then gives and option of running it from disk or hardrive, iv tried both of them but I get the same outcome each time.

iv also tried pressing escape on the boot up, it gives me the option to press F11 for a system recovery, but it just goes back to the same screen as when I used a disk.

Edit: I dont have the option for a reformat? or anything to do with partions. it only offers me a factory default.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should be written on the machine somewhere,

choose
    that should reformat and set the partitions - remember this removes all your data - which you may already have already lost

by knowing the make and the model of the pc we can find the exact instructions for the factory reset - there may also be a youtube video explaining what to do

5. Harbir

Harbir

Hi theriddler,

Retart the amchine and try and boot in the safemode. To go to Safemode, restart the machine and keep tapping the f8 key. Incase you get the desktop lemme know.

Thanks

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you can find the make and model written on the machine - try this
    Model:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get model
    * Press Enter

Make:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get Manufacturer
    * Press Enter

7. theriddler

it wont boot in safe mode I get the same problem.

I typed in the stuff you asked, hewlett packard HP G60 notebook pc.
    it didnt give a model number

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. Harbir

Harbir

Mate, then a bad news. The recovery disc is faulty. Please ask your vendor to install it for you or if you could arrange any XP CD, install it yourself................ :(

10. theriddler

etaf I went on that site and looked through all the options, It turned out that if I clicked advance options on the boot up disk recovery, it gave me a choice between a computer factory reset and a system factory reset.
    the default one without advance options was computer, so I chose the latter and voila its fixed it.

the difference between the two was one formats the partion and the other formats the whole hardrive, no idea why it worked like but im not complainin lol

thanks for your help mate :)

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) glad its all fixed now

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice