1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista problems, so slow it's stopped working!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JimmyStephens, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimmyStephens

JimmyStephens Thread Starter

Having probelms with my wife's Satellite L30-10s with Vista home basic. Just using the recovery disc for the second night running so I'm on my old Thinkpad A30 with XP pro writing this, far better but far from perfect.
    I've read lots of the threads on here and some other sites and Vista is even worse than I thought, never have liked it, seemed it was an excuse to make money, still uses a lot of NT200 system files but uses it differently from what I can make out, not anywhere near a novice even so what do I know.

Main question on this post is why is Vista needing to completely re-format the whole drive. Yesterday I made it make a partition for all the 'user' files, works great on XP, when it screws up you can just reformat C.\ and all your user files are nicely safe on the other partition! But Vista is 'trying to remove all letters from potential partitions on HDD 0 ...' Lucky I never reloaded all her photo's yet. I had to take her HDD out and extract all her files with this Thinkpad and a Sata to usb adapter.
    It's still churning away, 30 minutes now, it took 24 hours to install 99 updates for Vista after I reinstalled with the recovery disc. Suspecting it's not mayber software but the machine seemed to work fine from the recovery disc yesterday.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    A windows install disk, for Vista as much as for XP, can specify which partitions you want to install on. It also lets you do fancy things like repair installs (replace Windows files without affecting the rest of the drive) and access the recovery console.

However what you're using are recovery disks. These are not windows install disks and are not even made by Microsoft. They do one thing: reset your computer to exactly how it was when it came out of the factory. This includes resetting any partitioning and destroying all files.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does the recovery disc contain Vista(original), Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

Depending on which version it contains, you should consider downloading and saving and then burning off the full SP1 and/or SP2 upgrades to CD-R's.

If you install the needed service pack(s) first after you do a system recovery, you'll save a lot of time and aggravation with downloading and installing so many important/recommended updates.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. JimmyStephens

Thanks for the quick response guys.
    Yes it's what came with the machine, pity they don't supply an actual OS disc as that is my next option but expensive.
    There is a 'settings' button which lets you choose the size of partition but I can't remember the exact figure I set it at, about 37GB which is half the drive capacity but I can see it need an exact figure. I'll have to take the disc out again and look at it with this machine.
    There is no infor about what the version of Vista is on the disc, just says toshiba recovery disc, not even for what model!
    From memory the 99 files included SV2.
    I'm just contemplating putting XP pro on it instead as it's been a constant headache from new. If I had the cash I'd buy a new machine with nothing on it and install myself from bought discs, done that a couple of times now and you get a far better machine, no hidden partitions with makers rubbish on it and you have proper discs to reinstall with as many times as you like.
    Sorry, frustrated, close to putting it in the wheelie bin, it can't even reformat the disc again on recovery now!

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you consider installing Windows XP in a computer that came with Windows Vista pre-installed, you need to make sure that Windows XP drivers exist for all of its devices.

The Windows XP CD doesn't have native support for SATA hard drives(which that computer probably has), so that's another roadblock you may need to overcome.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. JimmyStephens

Thanks. Yes a minefield.
    I'm being a grumpy old man, bugs the hell out of me that the manufacturers of these machines and programes leave it to forums to do their probelm solving. I'm a builder and if something I've built isn't right I go and fix it, not leave it to the client to get his mates round to help him fix it.
    I'm stuck now though, the recovery disc won't even reinstall, just hangs, disc churning but nothing happening.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Is the CD/DVD drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS?

-------------------------------------------------------

8. JimmyStephens

Yes, I moved it up as you don't get many seconds to hit F12

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My guess is there's a problem with the CD/DVD drive or with the recovery disc.

-------------------------------------------------------

10. JimmyStephens

Thanks.
    It loaded ok yesterday but everything slowed down once Vista was back up and running, literaly took 24 hours to do the updates, kept going into sleep mode like it has all along and this is with a new install so maybe there is a hardware problem but it does work fine while on the boot disc and did yesterday while I went through install and setup, slowed up directly I downloaded AVG and then went to MS to get updated. Took the pre installed Norton off as we had 360 before and it takes over the machine.
    Going to bed soon as it was after two when I gave up last night!

11. JimmyStephens

Thanks Flavallee & Ent. I'd ordered a new HDD in case I couldn't get the wifes picture off this one. It came so I installed it and used the recovery disc, it all worked great. I downloaded 'Easeus' partition manager, the free home edition as I couldn't get the original disc to reinstall properly as the disc couldn't be reformated. Looked at it with 'Easeus' and the first sector has a surface fault, right where the MBR should be (I've just been reading about it- the MBR- on this site) the new HDD is in and am installing service packs now.

While I'm at this stage of a new install be good to get a few views on the perfect setup for a Vista machine. I've gone for Microsoft security and Windows Live Mail, I've found that is the best one, works with all the email servers I've tried without masses of setup problems.
    Any comments on other things to install, read a few comments from you on browser's, couldn't get on with Fox when I tried it a few years ago and tried Chrome a few months ago and just couldn't get it set uo to work with everything else.

Once again thanks guys.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. :) (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice