1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista - Remove or limit D:/

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 4 Me They said!, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4 Me They said!

4 Me They said! Thread Starter

Hi there. I have an MSI computer running Vista. It appears that I have 3 Drives.

1st one: Volume: nothing - Layout: Simple - Type: Basic - File System: nothing - Status: Healthy(EISA Configuration)
    2nd: Volume: Data (D:/) - " " - " NTFS - " - " " Healthy (Primary Partition)
    3rd: " Install (C:/) - " " - " " " - " " Healthy (System,Boot,Page File,Active,Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Now, following earlier advice, I went into "Start, right click on Computer, click on 'Manage', then onto Disk Management and the right clicked on the D: drive". I decreased it and it now shows me that I still have 48.3GB of 54.18GB free.

Here-in lies my problem. My C: drive, won't let me expand it. It is only 34.18GB in size, and I only have 706MB free.
    The first drive, has 1000MB free and unused, and my D:/ drive now has as I said, 48.33GB free, and I have 22.45 GB sitting in there with it saying it is "un-allocated" -

How do I allocate the 22.45 to the C:? drive? When I right click on it, it shows the "Extend Volume" as being shaded out.
    What is on the D:/ drive that it needs so much space, and no data is getting processed to it??
    Alternately, how do I make my computer use the D:/ drive?:confused:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

To use Disk Management to extend C the unallocated space must be behind that is to the right of C Drive, when viewed in the lower disk management window.
    Your unallocated space is I think now to the right of D Drive
    That is why you cannot now extend C Drive
    If you use Easeus free partition management tool you can do what you want
    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-moving-partition.htm

I think image 3 explains it best uallocated space BEFORE partition

Firstly extend D Drive back to take the unallocated space
    Then using the Easeus management tool shrink D by moving the cursor X to the right from the left, that will place the space behind C Drive
    Then extend C by moving the X from the left to the right.

It sounds when you try and type it a little confused by all is explained here. on the images and the page includes the download link

Create a restore point first and ensure all is backed up just in case it goes wrong.

This presumes that in the lower disk management window on Disk 0 the drives are listed in the order shown in the image

Whatever you do, YOU MUST obtain more free space on the system partition as with only 706MB the system is in danger of crashing good style.

3. 4 Me They said!

4 Me They said! Thread Starter

That worked a treat. Thanks ever so much.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Pleased to have helped

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice