1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista - Router wireless connection problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whead, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi,

About 4 months ago, I bought a Toshiba P100-160 laptop with Vista operating system. I have two desktops connected to the BT Home Hub router using ethernet, and connected the laptop wirelessly in another room. I had no problem at all with my wireless connection and download speeds etc.

One month ago approx, I started having problems with the connection, which occasionally turned itself off. This quickly worsened, and when I came back from a couple of weeks away, I was unable to connect at all (or just occasional connections for a few minutes).

I tried calling BT who provide my router and broadband service; they investigated and sent me a replacement Home Hub, however this hasn't changed the problem at all. If I try and connect wirelessly, I usually have the error message:

"Windows cannot connect to BTHomeHub"
    then
    "Wireless Association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point."

The above message is very common, even when my laptop is right next to the new router.

Sometimes the connection will last for up to an hour, but when it does, it is extremely slow. The router is not always visible when I hit 'connect to' then 'wireless' - neighbours' networks are visible instead. I am also able to connect occasionally to a neighbour's unsecured network, however the signal strength is usually pretty low. I haven't tried connecting something else to my home hub as I don't have anything else that can connect.

Just now, I managed to connect for about 30 mins running only MSN Messenger, then as soon as I tried to do something on the Internet, my wireless connection has disconnected, and when I try and connect again it has come up with a list of networks, and by my network it says: "BTHomeHub-F6A1 The capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network" - just below "Unnamed network - 5 bars signal strength"

Signal strength can dwindle from 5 bars to 3 bars when I am just a couple of metres from the router.

I have no problem connecting to the router when I connect my laptop to it using an ethernet cable.

I really have no idea why these problems are happening and am extremely frustrated, especially as the connection was fine for the first couple of months after I bought my laptop - specifically for wireless use in another room in the house.

Please can you help, before I launch my laptop from a top-floor window? :)

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. whead

whead Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply!

I've followed the link below, but got stuck pretty quickly - at Step 2!

This states: In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.

When I click 'interfaces' there are three different (GUID) subkeys, all long strings of letters and numbers. Apologies for appearing clueless, but how do I tell which of these corresponds to the adapter that is connected to the network?

Thank you for your time,

Rob (checking below his window for catching nets)

4. JohnWill

Scroll through the subkeys looking at the DhcpIPAddress field. Only one will have the IP address of your machine, that's the one to modify.

Now that you mention it, it's funny that's not specified. Note that you should set it to zero, they also first mention setting it to 1 for some reason.

5. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi John,

Thanks again for the fast response - I can't remember having responses this quick from any website before.

One of the GUID subkeys doesnt have a DhcpIPAddress field, but the other two subkeys both have exactly the same values in all of the IP address fields including the DhcpIPAddress field. (In fact, for the two GUID subkeys that actually have any information, only four fields - LeaseObtainedTime, LeaseTerminatesTime, T1 and T2 are different, all of the other fields contain exactly the same information.)

Strangely, though, if I hit http://whatismyipaddress.com/ it tells me that my machine has a different IP address to both GUID subkeys.

Anyhow, the information that comes up on my machine is a little different to your advice; would you like me to post some screen shots or something?

Thanks again for your continued help,

Rob

6. JohnWill

Don't worry about the external website, that's not relevant to your local network.

Change the two that have the proper local IP address and see if that helps.

7. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi John,

I altered the settings as instructed, but unfortnunately this hasn't solved the problem. I am still having the same problems - usually no connection despite having a signal, sometimes connecting and then being booted off randomly. There aren't any cordless phones or anything like that intefering.

Thank you for your continued help, if you are able to suggest another solution or route to investigate I would be very grateful.

Rob

8. JohnWill

Well, at this point, you need to try to narrow it down to the router or the machine. I'd either bring another wireless machine to test the router, or take this machine to another wireless network that is known to be working properly.

9. whead

whead Thread Starter

OK. Apologies for the delay.

I have successfully connected my laptop to a friend's wireless network. She has exactly the same router (BT Home Hub) as me, so it must be a problem with my router.

I don't understand why this would be - I replaced my router and it made no difference. Sometimes I can connect, usually I can't...maybe interference from another network or something...?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

10. JohnWill

It's probably wireless interference. I'd try changing the channel on the router. You might also grab NetStumbler and let is search for wireless networks, you can see what channels other networks around you are using.

11. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi John,

I couldn't get network stumbler to work (it just gives me a message at the bottom saying 'access is denied' but switching from channel 11 has seemed to fix my connection problems.

I tried the network stumbler bulletin boards and FAQs but couldn't find a fix to 'access is denied' - if you can offer some advice then great, otherwise it doesn't really matter as I can actually connect wirelessly now :)

No idea why BT sent me a new router instead of asking me to try that first, I guess you have more nous than their tech department.

12. JohnWill

Glad we were able to help you out. I don't know why Network Stumbler didn't work, but as you say, issue resolved! :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/627956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice