1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista shuts down when in sleep too long

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by westiemom, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I have a laptop that I have had since June and I don't remembering it doing this when I first got it. what it is doing is I will boot up my laptop, use it and then close the lid and putting it to sleep. I have sometimes forgotten to shut it down when I go to bed but when I return the next morning is is shut down. I have it running off the power cord not battery. Is there a setting I can change or what is going on? Does it automatically shut down after a lenght of tim in sleep?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you power it up after such a a shut down, does it come back to having the same programs and screens open as before you put it to sleep or does it behave as if it is coming from a cold rebooting?

In the first case, it sounds like your computer may be going into a hibernation mode. It will first save a a snapshot of the RAM contents to the hard drive and then shut down. When it powers back up it will restore the contents of RAM back from the hard drive and continue where it left off.

On my Compaq laptop running Vista Home Basic, the hibernation mode settings are in the Advanced section of a given power plan in the Power Options control panel.

Not sure what the problem is if the computer is comes up with a complete rebooting.

3. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

yes it does have the same windows open and such when I restart it...so I guess it goes into hibernation. I thought hibernation was like sleep...what mine is doing is shutting way down where no lights are on or anything like nothing running. I like that I can just open the screen and hit a button and I am back into windows. Mine happens to also be a compaq but with vist home premium.
    So it sounds like everything is ok...was worried that maybe something was going wrong.
    Thanks.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are welcome.

You can mark this topic as solved using the button above your original post if you are satisfied with the answer

5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

Ok well i have the solution!
    Open start menu, type power options, and click on the item that comes up.
    are you on the balanced plan or a custom? balanced should not hibernate but it seems like you are hibernating instead of sleeping.

click on choose when the computer sleeps on the left,
    then change advanced settings, scroll down to sleep and expand the tree, expand hibernate after, and choose never.

your computer will now sleep properly

6. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

Hey thanks. Didn't even know of those setting. It did say to hibernate in 1080 minutes...thanks again

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice