1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista SP2 login screen appears now

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DaveDoesIT, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT Thread Starter

Hi All,

I installed SP2 a few days back and now when the computer is inactive for about 10 minutes it reverts to the log in screen. I checked the Screen Saver and it is set to "None" so it should be where I left it.

I have the monitor shut off after 15 minutes and I don't have a security issue so that login screen is a pain in the butt.

Looks like it might be some micro$oft "wisdom" in SP2.

Any suggestions on where to look to disable it?

Dave

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It is going to sleep or hibernation and you need to use the login.
    Check your settings and turn OFF sleep or hibernation if you do not want to use it.
    The password requirement is in the "Advance" area of Power Options. This is where you need to turn off the passwrd requirement.

3. DaveDoesIT

Thanks DaveA,

I had checked all of that. This is a laptop but it is always plugged in and Sleep and Hibernate are always disabled when under power. I don't bother with a screen saver but only use the monitor power off option set at 15 minutes.

I thought it might be something to do with the screen saver so I set an active screen saver and a time for 1 minute. I then watched it several times and it popped the screen saver up and on activating no login. So far so good.

I reset the screen saver to "None" and then watched it again and after about 8 minutes, bingo, up popped the login screen. I touched nothing and at the 15 minute mark the monitor shut down as it should.

When I moved the mouse to activate it, the log in screen was still there.

Damned annoying.

Dave

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Then it is related to you power savings. Go back in where you are setting up this power down and then look for any "Advance" settings, and look for anything that might be related to a account and/or password.

I have a Sony with Vista that I leave plugged in, but I do NOT set any thing to be powered off.

5. DaveDoesIT

Thanks again Dave, but as I stated, I have checked all of that already. I am pretty computer savvy and have been programming them even before there was an IBM PC. I am no stranger to the inner depths of the Registry or operating systems etc.

Dave

6. DaveDoesIT

OK, problem appears solved. I went into the "Define Power buttons and turn on password protection."

I had checked this earlier and it was all set as it should be. The "Password protection on wakeup" was still set as I put it when I first got the computer 3 years back, with "Don't require a password" checked.

I checked "Require a password (recommended)" and clicked "Save Changes."

I then checked "Don't require a password," and again clicked "Save changes." I then backed out of everything in an orderly fashion and waited.

Viola, nothing happened until the 15 minutes for the monitor to turn off.

It seems installing SP2 changed that security level back to "Require" but the "Don't require" remained checked. I have NO idea how that can happen as that setting should be being read from the Registry.

By changing it to "Require" and saving, then changing it back again to "Don't," it appears to have reset the status in the Registry.

Hopefully it will stay this way after a reboot. I'll report back later if it reverts to the bad behavior tomorrow after the first start up, but for now it is looking fixed.

Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice