1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Stinks!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by teresapeterson, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresapeterson

teresapeterson Thread Starter

I have an Inspiron 1000. It originally had XP on it, but stupid me wanted the most updated OS so guess what I went and did?? That's right! I put vista on my lappy and now it just plain stinks! :mad:A slug moves faster than my laptop does!! How do I remove vista from my laptop and reinstall xp? I have tried reinstalling with cd and it doesn't give me the option to install(appears vista is alot harder to get rid of-kinda like the flu!):eek: Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this? I have backed everything up so I am ready to dump! I am not a tech chick so go easy on me! :) Thanks a bunch!!!

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Vista doesn't stink - but i'm afraid your laptop does.It is far below capability of performing with Vista.
    But, if you have selected your CD as the first bootable option, and then select format, you should be able to install XP. If you arevstill stuck, try this:
    When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

If you are prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.
    Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it, you may be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.
    Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have.
    You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.
    Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Basically, you need to erase the existing OS first. Simplest way is to reformat the partition. IIRC Dell shipped XP with a Reinstall CD rather than a Restore CD so I'm assuming that's what you have. Boot from the CD & see what it says. I don't have a Dell with Vista so I can't check but there should be an option to delete the existing partition. Use it. Then create a new partition & XP will format it.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What do you expect with a celeron cpu and probably only 512mb of ram. You should have asked us before you even attempted that.

Do you have a windows XP install CD?
    Did you put that in the computer and try booting from it?
    Is the bios set to boot from the CD drive first?

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

FWIW I agree that Vista stinks-but for different reasons. As far as performance goes I consider it typical of Windows. Take Microsoft's minimum specs, then double those for 'true' minimums. Then double that for decent performance.

I've followed that rule since Windows 95 & haven't gone wrong yet. (Nor would I have gone wrong following it with Windows 3.1, except that that was the version in which I *learned* the rule.)

6. teresapeterson

I have tried at least 5 times booting from the cd and it will not let me. I have 701MB of RAM...I didn't think putting vista on here would be an issue and would you believe dell support told me i should be ok? Anywho, I just want good old xp back. It was more efficient for me and the work I do and definitely faster. I can whiz through xp and partition my hard drive all day long, but on vista i am completely lost! This is a lesson learned for sure!! Please help!!

7. teresapeterson

Ok guys, this is where i am in the vista saga..calvin c, i managed to get to disk management only by right clicking on computer and then manage- but when i tried to delete partition it would not let me because my OS is there! davehc- i followed your directions. As far as I was able to get was the boot menu and was given this prompt: choose o/s(only one was vista of course) or tab to select tool, which is memory diag. Can't boot from cd either....so, what else haven't i done that i need to do?

8. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try this. Its possible you are using SATA. Press F10 when starting the PC, once I in there, go to advance>SATA and go from RAID to IDE. Then try to boot your cd
    If you are unable to, or cannot access the commands, I think your CD may be corrupt.
    As far as I am aware, there is no Vista reason that you should not boot from the XP CD.

9. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Strange that you can't boot from the CD. Have you checked the boot order? Some PC's require changing the boot order in the BIOS setup (trying to boot from the CD before it boots from the HD) and others allow you to press a button during boot to choose the boot device.

If you're sure that the PC is trying to boot from the CD then it sounds like the CD isn't bootable which is strange. Which CD do you have, anyway? I'm quite sure the Dell OS Reinstall CD is bootable, and that's the one you should be using if you have it.

You're right about being unable to delete the partition from within Windows. Sorry, I was talking about deleting it during setup, after booting from the CD. I should have been clear about that. Your first problem is getting the machine to boot from the CD. I suspect that once you solve that problem it'll be clear how you're to proceed from there. (And if it isn't well, you know where to come for help.)

10. teresapeterson

Ok, i tried booting from the cd- will not do this at all! The only thing i could think of was to try to do a clean install of vista. I did a clean install before, and after i did, when i loaded xp cd i was given the option to install but when i clicked on option to install it told me i had a newer version on pc and couldn't install. That being said, yesterday afternoon i did a clean install of vista. i have 19.2GB free on C drive. I tried loading from cd but couldn't. XP cd i have works fine on my pc at home so the issue has to be vista because i have loaded xp on this laptop before.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

12. teresapeterson

Yes,, I am using the original xp cd that came with my laptop and it still does not load no matter what i do. I am truly at a loss! When i start my lappy i hit f10 and it doesn't go there..it just boots up! Now, vista has sp1 so it is continually telling me that i need to update, which i do, and it fails every stinking time! This is getting ridiculous! Did I even spell that right?? I am so frustrated!

13. Orumph

Orumph

The easiest way is to format the drive from dos and install XP.
    You will need a bootable floppy or cd with format on it.

Search google for how to format your harddrive.

Next time do your research before doing something you shouldn't then trashing that something you shouldn't have done because it didn't work. Makes you look stupid.

Also to calvin-c
    It is not only windows, this also applies to games and any other software that uses/needs resources to run properly. Like any game, do you complain about it's system specs, or do you accept that it's new tech and therefore needs a stronger faster system?

Vista is the most solid MS OS to date. period.

14. pillainp

pillainp

So how exactly were you partitioning in XP "all day long"?

BTW, VIsta has nothing to do with what happens at system boot (BIOS level). Just because you can boot from your CD/DVD on your home PC but not your laptop does not mean it is Vista's fault

15. Orumph

Orumph

On another note......

teresapeterson.....

For you to bash something you obviously screwed up on,,, and then to say

All I can say is, take it to a shop and pay someone to fix your PC. Cause you have no clue what you are doing.

This type of crap (People like this) is the biggest problem giving a great OS like Vista a bad name

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice