1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista stuck in update reboot loop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gusgus222, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario f700 a friend brought to me asking for help. It seems that after a windows vista update the updater is stuck in a loop. I’ve looked around online and found various suggestions for help. I’ve done the following my results have been the same. Every time I restart that same configuring updates 3 of 3 messages appears. The message will stay onscreen for a few moments then the laptop will restart and here we go again.

I tried to do a system restore but the is no restore point prior to when the updates were installed. I don’t have a disk as vista came preloaded on the pc. I followed the steps regarding going in and renaming the pending. xml, then removing the XMl identifier in the regedit. Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try?

2. horsecharles

horsecharles

If you're able to restart computer in Safe Mode with Network Support(continuously tap F8 key upon bootup), try to uninstall / disable those updates and/or rename or delete Windows\Software DIstribution folder.

Better yet, get app i mention in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/791979-what-these-updates.html

Copy its entire home folder to disc, then run Autopatcher file(if process balks, you may need to copy folder to hard disk.

Good luck.

3. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

Thank you!!

I was able to get in and remove the Pending.XML file, renaming it didn't help one bit. But now vista won't update at all. I will try your suggestion and go from there. Thank you again!

4. spjgjsm

spjgjsm

I am having the same problem. I have spent a month trying to sort this out -- none of the suggestions I have seen posted elsewhere appear to help, including removing pending.xml

Any ideas anyone??

Am tempted to just re-install windows (and revert back to XP instead of Vista) Will this remove all my files (e.g. photos)?

Cheers

Jon

5. horsecharles

horsecharles

In Safe Mode, Command Prompt, thru another booted OS, with an app like UNLOCKER

one can delete that entire updates FOLDER, not just the file.

One can then run the Autopatcher Updater and select EVERYTHING(even those already installed!!!).

Afterwards, run Windows Update once(select / re-click check for updates if you initially & quickly receive message that no updates are needed)

RESULTS:

no more problem hopefully
    windows recreates that folder
    all updates reported installed by the system

PS in Safe Mode w/ Networking, the Autopatcher 'may' work, saving that one reboot time...

PS2 You can even use an app like CCleaner(add that folder to custom folders to clean) to clean out the folder. All you will lose is the ability to uninstall a particular patch...

but apart from an entire Service Pack, or a driver(which i would get directly from manufacturer anyway)-- there's nothing in Vista that will need to get rolled back.

Good Luck to both of yous....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice