Solved: Vista stuck in wireless mode ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goaf1968

Okay, folks, maybe you can help out a dad (me) help out a student (my daughter) out of a panic situation with Vista. She just called me and said she had unhooked her laptop (Dell 1530) from the hardware connection in her dorm room and went to a community room to work. Her laptopn picked up the wireless connection there. She went back to her room, plugged in the laptop to the college's system (with ethernet cable connect) but her laptop remains in wireless mode. What do I need to tell her to do so she can get her laptop to recognize she is no longer wireless, but back on a hard line? Help!!

goaf1968

I do appreciate now knowing (what) I am to tell her she must do. Can you please tell me the (how) it is done part so I can talk her through this on the phone.

Thanks, again, for your help!

goaf1968

Not the "turn the computer off part" -- I think she has that part figured out (grin), but the disconnect from the wireless part would be helpful.

TerryNet

Terry
Turn off the adapter, assuming an integrated one, depends on the PC. Since it is a Dell it should be the Fn + F2 key combination. Unless she is using Bluetooth this, to me, is the preferred method.

To disconnect: click on the "networking" icon in the Notification Area and select 'connect or disconnect' (I'm not on Vista now and don't remember exactly) and then click on 'Disconnect.'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online