1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by techy689, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I though I'd make a forum where we could discuss any tips or tricks found when using the new Windows Vista. Though I no longer have the beta installed, I will be getting my copy of Vista in almost a week.

The only thing I wanted to ask is are the major functions of Vista the same as XP? I never really messed around with that stuff and now I wish I did. For example, to get in safe mode, is it still f8? Registry Editor still regedit in the run command. Is MSconfig the same?

2. jake0718

jake0718

On both of those the answer is yes.

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Yeah, those things are pretty much the same. Does Ctrl+Alt+Del still take you to the admin logon?

4. TechB

TechB

If you mean Ctrl+Alt+Del while at the logon screen then no. If you mean while Windows is running then it's sort of the same. The main difference in both cases is that the administrator account is disabled by default and the classic logon screen is not available.

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

So how is it possible logon to the admin account?

6. TechB

TechB

You don't logon to the "administrator" account. You logon to an account that is a member of the administrators group. You then run as a standard user that can, through uac, get administrator permissions. If you want to perform administrator tasks you right click on a program and pick Run as administrator. Alternatively the program can tell Vista it needs administrator rights and you will get a uac prompt when you try to run the program. The actual user account "administrator" is disabled unless you boot to safe mode and there are no other accounts that are members of the administators group. You can enable this account but it is not recommended or needed to manage the system. Security In Vista is very different from XP. It actually works.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Safe mode or enable it.

But I would assume that the Administrator account will work just like XP Home for Vista Home. You will only be able to login to the Administrator account thru safe mode. But they have the account disabled by default. They are trying to get people away from using it as a daily account. For the most part they want people to have a Backup admin account and then a normal user account without Admin privileges.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am actually starting a Vista tutorial website. I am sure it will become more than just Vista related tutorials by I decided to name it Wink At Vista. Basically what I want the main theme of the website to be is Tutorials based on the Wink Software while using Vista. But I am open to people posting other tutorials using Wink.

I just registered the Domain this week and hope to start designing the site this weekend.

9. jmwills

jmwills

Left Shift +Right click>Run As Administrator is all you need.

10. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Thanks, Squash. :)

11. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Also, is there a way to set up your all programs to list the folders first and then the shortcut programs instead of the shortcut program firsts and then the folders..?

12. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Why can you not right click on the desktop?

13. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Hie Squashman. You are welcom to use any of the contents of my Doc in my thread "Speedier Vista" of the 21st Jan. As I said there, only a couple of tips are my original work, the rest are gathered from many different sources around the web.

14. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

S4Baz. I do not think there is a wayfor your first question, but of course - you can protect it, if that is the problem. Ditto the second question. I have manually sorted mine into group directories and shortcuts within those directories. I did this with the drag and drop method.
    Thrid question. You can, if not then you seem to have a problem with your setup.

15. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

HI,
    If you want to have permanent access to the full admin account, on log on, type in the "RUN" Control Userpasswords2. Go to Advanced, advanced again, and enable the Admin account (It is disabled by default) when you reboot, you will have the option to log in as your own user, or Admin. You will, of course, have to customise your desktop again as it will start up in default mode.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice