1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista unable to connect to network with SSID hidden?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bigelowb, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigelowb

bigelowb Thread Starter

Can this be true? I have a wireless network that does not broadcast its SSID, as this is recommended for best security. All of the computers running XP and XP Pro have no trouble connecting to the network. We just acquired a new Acer notebook with Vista Home Pro and it connects to the network just fine as long as I allow broadcast of the SSID, but as soon as I hide the SSID, the Vista notebook can no longer connect. I find it really hard to believe that Microsoft could be this dumb, especially since it works on XP. Can someone suggest what I may be doing wrong?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, SSID hiding is an anemic security measure, and all it does is make your network harder to use. If you have WPA or WPA2 encryption with a strong random key, you are well secured.

A good read: The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure A Wireless LAN

3. bigelowb

bigelowb Thread Starter

Yes, it's quite inadequate, but I combine it with other things, like MAC filtering and a max length passphrase that's relatively easy to remember but composed of "words" that are not part of any language that I know of, and other means. Maybe I'm being silly, but I've always felt that erecting a large number of hurdles, even if they are not each difficult in themselves, is better than just a few.

4. JohnWill

Well, you have erected a hurdle that Vista can't always jump over, so I'd suggest you remove it. ;)

5. bigelowb

bigelowb Thread Starter

:) It seems there's a checkbox labelled something like "Connect even if network is not transmitting". This is very badly labelled, because what it really means is "Connect even if network is not transmitting its SSID". As soon as I checked the box, everything works.

6. JohnWill

Glad to see there was a solution. I'll have to look on my Vista laptop for that option, didn't even realize it existed. Where exactly is this option?

Learn something every day. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. bigelowb

bigelowb Thread Starter

I'm not at a Vista machine right now (at work), but I think it was on the first tab ("General" or something like that) on "Network Properties". If that's not right I'll post the correction later tonight.

8. JohnWill

OK, thanks. Just figured I'd save myself a few minutes. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice