1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista unstable after Yahoo IM update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PCTech69, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCTech69

PCTech69 Thread Starter

I am helping out a friend with her computer. It seems she had an update for her Yahoo IM? After updating, she couldnt use her IM. So she started troubleshooting by following yahoo's suggestions, which entailed removing Java, Microsoft.NET, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005. This is as far as she got. I uninstalled Yahoo IM and reinstalled. Worked fine, but she did not have all features of her Pogo games anymore. I proceeded to redownload Java, Upgraded to Microsoft.NET 4, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, as well as DirectX and others I followed off the yahoo suggestions. I am going on memory right now...of all that happened and all I did, but basically, her computer is freezing up and weird things are happening. I ran Malware scan and ran HD Diagnostic scan. All was fine. I proceeded to try system restore...and it could not be accessed. It kept saying it was already running, and wouldnt pop up. So I attempted to get to it through safe mode, no luck at all. :eek: I rebooted, finally got it to open, first restore point was damaged? So it got rid of it, I tried the next, and it failed. There was restore points on there dated back to a year ago, and all were gone except the last week. Weird. I am thinking a fresh reinstall back to factory settings is the answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. pip22

pip22

"There was restore points on there dated back to a year ago, and all were gone except the last week"

restore points are not kept indefinitely as only a small portion of the hard drive is allocated to them, so there is no way that restore points made a year ago would still be available. As new restore points are created, the oldest ones are automatically flushed away to make room for the newer ones when the allocated space becomes full.

I suggest a factory recovery should be performed.

3. PCTech69

PCTech69 Thread Starter

Thats what I figured, complete restore and start over fresh. But there was restore points back that far. The system doesn't seem to have been making them automatically. There was a few manual ones made and recent ones made by Microsoft before updating, but only after I turned on the automatic updates and starting with updating. Does this make sense? Anyhow, thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice