1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: VISTA wireless connection to internet is unreliable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crate, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

Hello, you can check my profile for all the info you should need about my computer, basically I have Vista and I'm told that Vista and wireless don't go very well together...yet. We have a wireless/wired home network set up here, consisting of a wired router and a wireless router working together to connect all 3 of our desktops and all 3 of our notebooks. I'm talking specifically about problems with my notebook though. When I turn on my computer and/or my wireless card, it's real quick to connect, and I have access to our network storage drives and all the computers currently connected Our network has internet access via cable modem. The thing is, all the XP based systems on the network connect to the internet right away, while my Vista machine takes anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes. Even then, I'll sometimes loose the internet connection and will have to wait another 5 minutes for it to reconnect. Resetting the wireless router or the card itself doesn't speed up the process because I still have to wait for it to connect to the internet. Sometimes it won't connect for so long that I just give up and move all my work to an XP based desktop. It's really frustrating, if it's connected to the network, shouldn't it also have the same internet access right away? If I try to repair the connection (HA now Vista makes you wait for it to "diagnose the problem" or identify it and then it will give you the option to reset your adapter, which I guess is the equivalent to repairing the connection) it just says it pinged the DNS server but did not receive a response. And gives me the option to reset the adapter again or close out. Is there anything I can do to make my connection more reliable and quicker to connect? And yes, I'm in the same room as the router and i have Excellent signal strength.

2. jayray23

jayray23

Use paragraphing for ease of reading

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Go to Start and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Go to Start and type in "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Go to Start and type in regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

4. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

ok, Modem: surfboard SB3100 cable modem
    Wireless Router: Lynksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz WRT54G using WEP encryption
    Wired Router: Lynksys BEFSR41 Ethernet Cable router

Oh yeah, I tried the three things listed in your post, JohnWill, but it still hasn't gotten any better, but thanks for the suggestions.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried changing the channel on the router? How about upgrading the drivers for the wireless NIC in Vista?

6. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

my drivers are up to date, but I haven't tried changing the channel, I'm moving in a couple of days and I'll have to set up a new WAN with a new wireless router, so I'll see if that helps. And at the new place, I've got pretty good access to a neighbor's unsecured network, so I can get moderate signal until I set up my own WAN

7. jbm1991

jbm1991

i wouldnt reccommend connecting to your neighbours internet if they dont know you are going to as it is illegal.
    my internet on my vista PC (PC 2 see specs above) used to have trouble connecting to the internet because my neighbours internet was within reach and so to solve that problem, and you should do this yourself:
    go onto network and sharing centre >> manage wireless networks >> there should be a list of networks it can connect to >> if there is a list choose the network you want, right click on it, go to properties and tick the box which say "automatically connect to this network", as far as i can remember there should be three boxes one above the other and the "automaticall connect to this network" box is the top one. i have the bottom one ticked aswell. make sure the middle one isnt ticked.
    >> if there wasnt a list of networks then click add network and set it up, then do the properties thing like i said above.

this solved my problem, so i hope it helps. :)

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Vista does have problems with some routers, but JohnWill's advice usually takes care of those. In one case I worked on where that advice didn't work, I solved the problem by replacing the router with a Wireless-N model. Of course that customer also had poor signal problems which the upgrade fixed, but it also fixed the Vista connection problem-coincidence or does Vista just work better with newer routers?

9. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

alright, I don't think I'm gonna upgrade to Wireless N though since I only have an A/B/G card Intel wireless card and Wireless G gives me all the range I need, but I'll definitely try to get a good G router. It's hard to believe how new commercially available wireless networking is, yet how outdated a lot of the hardware is.

10. jackdw

jackdw

I wouldn't recommend mentioning using your neighbours unsecured network, neither posting here asking about it.

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

Above would class as a IV offence as connecting to a wireless network that is not your own without the owner's permission is against the law. It's also against most ISP's terms of service and T&C's.

11. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

yeah i know, I haven't moved out yet though, and I'm talking about my current Wireless G network in my latest post. It's amazing how fast they've made laws about these things. What's taking them so long to pass laws banning media sharing?

12. Crate

Crate Thread Starter

btw, i'm done with this thread, I'll post a new one if problems arise with my new network since there will be different information.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice