1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista won't recognize USB devices that are not connected to the back of the P

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by yonyz, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

Hi,

I've just moved to Vista, and for some reason, it won't recognize my
    Wireless Network USB adapter, unless I connect it through the back of my PC.

What's wrong?
    Why do the USB ports that are in the front don't work?

--Edit--

I'm sorry, I guess this should be moved to the Vista forum.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you get a new computer that runs Vista or did you upgrade your computer with the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard from XP to Vista?

If you did an upgrade, did the Wireless adapter work OK on the front ports with XP?

If you did an upgrade, did you have the computer open for any reason and could have bumped a connector loose?

Do the front ports work with any other kind of USB device, like a USB Flash drive?

3. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

I was using XP with this computer for about six months,
    with the same USB port and Wireless Network USB adapter, and it worked fine.

I didn't do an Upgrade - I just formatted using the Vista DVD and did a clean install.

The front ports do work with other USB devices, like my iAudio F2 MP3 player.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The only other thing I can think of was a warning that came with the one page (and 10 different language) documentation for a USB WiFI adapter I added to our desktop PC a few months ago. It said something about directly connecting to only one of the back ports because the front ports on some computers appear as USB hubs and the adapter might not be found by Windows.

I am not at all familiar with how Windows XP or Vista detect USB devices but would not be surprised if the USB hardware drivers worked differently for XP and Vista.

5. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

Well, I really don't mind keeping it in the back of the computer,
    but for some reason it's software says that no wireless card is connected,
    but Windows do find Networks through it's built-it Network and Sharing Center (or whatever it's name is).

How can I move the control to the software that came bundled with the card?
    It worked fine on XP.

Also, Vista shows 4 bars out of 5 for the connectivity strength, and yet it says
    that it is connected to the network I selected, but with no internet access.

I configures the ip, subnet mask, DNS and anything else correctly.

However, there's no "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" option in the network connection properties.
    Only something with V4 and V6, and I'm afraid that's the reason why there's no internet access.

Any suggestions?

6. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

Vista says "Limited Connectivity".

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the V4 setting show a manual IP address?

8. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Please do not post duplicate threads in the future.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice