1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by uselbi, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

:confused: I’m in the market for a new laptop computer and I need some advice as to what to get. Should I get one with a 64 bit OS and 64 bit processor or should I get one with just a 64 bit processor or just stick with the 32 bit all around? It’s going to be used at home as a stand alone for Internet and e-mail use only. Thanks.

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    You need at least 4 Gig of RAM to run the 64 bit OS.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

HUH? Did you just put that there knowing someone would have to correct it?

Pay no attention to cuttlefish today, looks like he might be floating a little sideways today.

I think all mainstream processors are 64-bit compatible these days. All you need to decide on is 64 or 32 bit OS and the only current really good reason to go to a 64-bit OS is if you need 4 gigs of RAM or more. You definitely don't need 4 gig or more of RAM for the purpose you've described. You would probably not experience too many of the problems 64-bit systems have been bothered with in the past though since 64-bit support has come a long way in the last year or so.

4. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

fairnooks, Thanks.

5. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Ooooops, sorry guys, I was just repeating a reply to a similar post put up here yonks ago on the same subject and got the reply from a "Distinguished Member" as follows:

"To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit processor. To take advantage of the additional capability to utilize memory on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, you should have at least 4 GB of RAM installed on your computer."

I grovel in the shadow of those above me!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice