1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vista64 is not Genuine after recovering system files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nale2221, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nale2221

nale2221 Thread Starter

Hello.
    I am new to this forum and i hope I am posting in the right section. I have created this account for the sole purpose with help to this question as I have exhausted my know how with computers as to solving the problem.
    Here's the story.

Prequel
    Being bored with vista's looks, i decided to grab enigma desktop mod. It's great! now i needed to find a visual style that complimented it. I found the perfect one. double great! Problem: it requires replacing system files in order for it to render properly. The files were as follows.

browseui.dll
    shell32.dll
    timedate.cpl
    explorer.exe

Part I: The Work
    The one draw back is that the 64 bit theme required making my own shell32 and timedate via a resource editor. I said "No biggie. I'm pretty beast at this stuff and should be fine doing this." So i used resource hacker, which I think was my first mistake. I replaced the 42 folder in shell32 with one provided and compiled. I replaced the pngs of the white clock on the side bar with ones provided and compiled. I added them to the system32 folder and replaced the other two things. I (luckily) made backups of all the origional files.

Part II: Problem
    I had made the switches and felt like starting up a program when a message hit me in the face saying "cannot start because we cannot locate shell32.dll" or something of that nature. I thought this was weird. I went to the system32 folder, searched for the shell32.dll which i had already copied into the folder. Nothing. I went back to the source folder to finding still sitting there. I dragged and dropped. The nice little loading bar greeted me, filled up and went away, yet the .dll would not move. I did this about five times before I decided to change to the administrator user. I did this thinking i didn't have the necessary permissions to the system32 folder pertaining to that one file. Opening the new explorer.exe for the first time, i found myself lacking the ability to click anything on my desktop. Icons, start menu, right click, all gone. I called up cmd using task manager and manually moved the little bugger into the system 32 folder via the dos prompt.

Part III: Reboot
    I hit the power button. (Windows boot sound) "LogonUI.exe failed to manifest because shell32.dll is nowhere to be found. Logging off"

Part IV: Ubuntu
    I used an ubuntu live cd to replace the bad system files with the ones i backed up. I latter found out that the one i moved into system 32 actually got redirected to syswow64 because reshacker compiled it in 32 bit.

Part V: Ungenuine success
    Windows is up! Now i have a little thing in the bottom right hand of my screen saying my copy of windows is not genuine.
    So, obviously, I want to make this little thing in the bottom right hand of my screen go away. My question is how?:confused:

P.S. So far, the fact that vista is not genuine hasn't really done anything, but i would like this resolved all the same.

~Nale

EDIT: I went to windows update to find a window entitled "Welcome to Windows Vista Service Pack 2!" Does anybody recommend updating as a remedy?

2. BillVB

BillVB

Have you tried doing a good old fashioned system restore?

3. nale2221

nale2221 Thread Starter

No I didn't. Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything. I booted it up the next day and the message was gone. Nothing has impacted system performance. Theoretically, I should close the thread. But I would be much more reassured if a guru could tell me why this message up and went so quickly after it appeared.

4. BillVB

BillVB

Okay, good to hear.

If it's fixed, would you mind marking this post solved?

5. nale2221

nale2221 Thread Starter

nope. =)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice