1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Visual Basic vs. Visual Basic for Applications

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by bsdslayer, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsdslayer

bsdslayer Thread Starter

Hello,

I guess my question can be asked in two ways, the short way and the long way.

Here's the short one:

Can you do everything that you can do with VBA with VB?

The long one is:

I need to be able to write programs that conceivably invovle web forms/web services (VB right?), Microsoft SQL Server 2002 (VB again right?) but also Microsft Office applications like Excel and Access (VBA??). Does that mean I need to learn both Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications? In my initial research into Visual Basic I've learned that Visual Basic for Applications is a subset of Visual Basic, so shouldn't that mean that Visual Basic, being the parent and more powerful than Visual Basic for Applications, is capable of performing all of the functions that Visual Basic for Applications does?

Thanks for your help,
    Bsdslayer
    ([email protected])

2. OBP

OBP

I do not know VB at all, only some VBA. The main difference is that VBA has words specifically for the applications, a classic exanple would be the
    Range("a65536").End(xlUp)
    both range and .End(xlUp) are for use in Excel.

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

You can do everything in VB that you can do in VBA. The converse is not true.

chris.

4. RGregory

RGregory

Also the words you can use in vba are the same in vb, but vb usually has better ways to perform the actions (in my opinion). For example, if you were to work with an excel table in vb.net, I would load all of the data into a vb flex grid, manipulate the data there, and then output it to an excel spreadsheet. That is not an option in vba (I believe anyway <G>). Also, with vb.net you use disconnected datasets, so you are not hitting the database as often when working with access or sql server. Just my 2 cents worth :) .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice